Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trollrx

Moved in 2017 and entered two separate home offices. Error on both 8829 Simple Method Smart Worksheets, line C. Turbotax will only accept zero for square footage.

I entered both offices separately. Entered:

No, did not live in same home all 12 months of 2017.

Yes, had a home office in all of my homes.

Yes, used this office the entire part of 2017 I lived there.

Yes, used only for business.

No, did not share.

Rented one, owned the other.

Not a daycare provider

Entered dates and months, 3 months for one, 9 months for the other.

Yes, stored inventory

Entered 300 square feet for home office size (doesn't change the error of I increase, decrease or zero this number on either form).

Entered 25% and 75% for "percentage of business conducted at" to equal 100% for the year.

Took simplified deduction

Entered expenses for each, adds up correctly.

No, for prior year deductions.

The result for each office adds up to the maximum $1500 deduction, but then I get the error when running a review.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Moved in 2017 and entered two separate home offices. Error on both 8829 Simple Method Smart Worksheets, line C. Turbotax will only accept zero for square footage.

The error is most likely being caused by trying to use the Simplified Method for more than one home office. 

According to IRS Publication 587, “If you used more than one home in your business during the year (for example, you moved during the year), you can elect to use the simplified method for only one of the homes. You must figure the deduction for any other home using actual expenses.”

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

The error is most likely being caused by trying to use the Simplified Method for more than one home office. 

According to IRS Publication 587, “If you used more than one home in your business during the year (for example, you moved during the year), you can elect to use the simplified method for only one of the homes. You must figure the deduction for any other home using actual expenses.”

Use the actual method for the rental so you don't have to deal with deprecation on your new home.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies