turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmsonnier

How do I report income received on Schedule K-1 form 1120s for a business? The only options I get are K-1 for Parternships or Trust/Estate. Using TurbTax Business.

My company is an S corp and I'm filing an 1120s using TurboTax Business. How do I report income received on Schedule K-1 Form 1120s? The only options I get are for K-1 for Parternships or LLC (Form 1065) or Trust or Estate (Form 1041). This K-1 was issued to the company, not me personally, so it needs to be reported on the company tax return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathiM

How do I report income received on Schedule K-1 form 1120s for a business? The only options I get are K-1 for Parternships or Trust/Estate. Using TurbTax Business.

While S Corps can be shareholders in C Corporations, they cannot have an ownership position in another S Corp. This is because S Corp stock must be owned by individuals. Check with the issuer of the K-1.  They must have made a mistake.  They can a corrected K-1 easily, showing you personally or the correct recipient.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
CathiM

While S Corps can be shareholders in C Corporations, they cannot have an ownership position in another S Corp. This is because S Corp stock must be owned by individuals. Check with the issuer of the K-1.  They must have made a mistake.  They can a corrected K-1 easily, showing you personally or the correct recipient.

The K-1 could have come from a partnership or multi-member LLC taxed as a partnership as the facts are not real clear.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
CathiM

Only individuals can own a S-corp.  LLCs and partnerships cannot be an owner either.
CathiM

S-corp shareholders must be U.S. citizens or residents (not nonresident aliens), and must be natural persons, so corporations and partnerships are ineligible shareholders. However, certain trusts, estates, and tax-exempt corporations, notably 501(c)(3) corporations, are permitted to be shareholders.

Agree.  The OP may have been mistaken in that the K-1 received is FROM a partnership.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
CathiM

Yes, that could be it. Thanks!
jmsonnier

Thanks! It looks like the K-1 needs to be corrected to be a Schedule K-1 (Form 1065).
Mark816

If the LLC is owned by an S Corp and is treated as a disregarded entity or Single-Member LLC, does the S Corp pay the tax (if needed) or does the income/loss of the LLC and the S Corp pass through to the individual owners of the S Corp?

If this is correct, the LLC provides a schedule K to the S Corp and the S Corp provides a K-1 to the individual owners. Please confirm?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If the single-member LLC is owned by a corporation or partnership, the LLC should be reflected on its owner's federal tax return as a division of the corporation or partnership.  See this IRS web page for more on single member LLC taxation.

So, there is no K-1 from a disregarded entity; its income and expenses are reported on the return of the owner, be it an individual, a partnership, or a corporation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies