turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mk_emmons

Tax treatment of stipends to corporate board members

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

If by "stipends" you mean Director's fees, then the taxation depends on whether they are also employees or not.

• non-employee directors receiving director's fees report them as self-employment income.
  • employee's who are also directors receiving director's fees should have them included with their wages subject to FICA and Medicare taxes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

If by "stipends" you mean Director's fees, then the taxation depends on whether they are also employees or not.

• non-employee directors receiving director's fees report them as self-employment income.
  • employee's who are also directors receiving director's fees should have them included with their wages subject to FICA and Medicare taxes.

rabadoo

I think Corporate employment is definitely one test for self-employment tax applicability.  But I question the applicability if you're talking about somebody's G'ma that is in the Board meeting just to enrich the appearance of the Board and does not possess any professional status beyond best cookie baker in Hoboken.  If there's no "service"  (speeches, consulting, press conferences, other representation of or on behalf of the Corporate Entity) then how can G'ma's knitting constitute employment?  I'm suggesting there's an argument beyond getting a W2 from the Corp but only if no W2 exists.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies