Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Some formsets are not present on this machine. Please install all formsets. Error 190.

Hi Jotika,

thanks for your prompt reply, but it ain't that simple. I am the executor of my Mom's estate, I have 4 sibling clamoring for their k-1's, so this is URGENT for me. My Mom passed away in 2019. I filed her return TTX online basic for free. Now I am filing the close of the estate. I found out that the basic did not handle K-1's for estate and upgraded online from basic to Home&Business. Everything dowloaded and worked until March when I found out that the messages, that the IRS k-1's were not release was false, even though I had been updating TTX without any sign of a change. Then I started getting error and could not open the file or delete it. I finally cycle net.framwork and I was able to delete both files. (forgot to mention that I had a return started for myself on the computer, it was orignally installed as basic, the upgraded to H&B, but this file has never been an issue. Now I have reinstalled TTX, transferred the information on my personal file w/o issue, but Mom's 190 error persisted. I moved the TTX download files to different folders. I am now creating from scratch, but the software questions are not appropriate for Estate&Trusts, ie. it won't accept date of death in 2019? This was not a problem in the original file, appears that I do not have the right software. What can I do?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Some formsets are not present on this machine. Please install all formsets. Error 190.

@rudolfhg To file an Estate Tax Return Form 1041 and generate K-1 forms, you need TurboTax Business Edition, which is a desktop product that you can order online and download to your computer. 

Click this link for more info on Estate Tax Returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can't get it to open so how do you remove the state?

@Suezew wrote:

I can't get it to open so how do you remove the state?

I'm sorry, but we don't know anything about what your situation is, what all have you have done, and what all you are trying to do.  We don't even know know what product you are referring to.  We don't know what the "it" is that you are trying to open.    What is the "it?"  Is it a *.taxYYYY data file that you are trying to open with desktop software (CD/download?)  If so, what tax year, and what edition (Deluxe, Premier, etc.)?

If it's a *.tax2020 data file, have you already filed your 2020 return, or are you in the process of preparing one?

Or are you using Online TurboTax and don't know how to open the return interview for an unfiled 2020 online return?

If you describe what your issue is so that folks can understand your situation, someone may be able to comment in this user community forum.    Or if you wish, here's how to phone TurboTax Support on Monday:

Hours are currently 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a callback.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

If you can't get your return to open,  you can't remove the state from your return.  You have to first install the state program to open a .tax file.

Or do you want to delete a state return?

How to delete a state in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-on...

How to Clear a state in the Desktop program

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-clear-my-state-return-in-the-turbotax-fo...

hstancil
Returning Member

I don't need to file a state return.  I live in Florida.

@hstancil  wrote:

I don't need to file a state return.  I live in Florida.

You didn't describe any details about your issue, so I don't know if you are using desktop software, online TurboTax, or what, and what the roadblock is you are experiencing.

The following answer is for Online TurboTax.  If you are using desktop software, then you need to explain more about what all you are doing and what the roadblock is.

Did you start a FL "state return" by accident? 

Florida does not have a state income tax.   Only people who have Florida businesses or rental property with tangible personal property have to file a DR-405 with the county property appraiser by April 1 each year.

https://floridarevenue.com/property/Pages/Taxpayers_TangiblePersonalProperty.aspx

and

https://floridarevenue.com/property/Documents/pt114.pdf

If you don't have a Florida business or rental property with such tangible personal property, then you do not have to file a Florida return.  You can choose to skip the Florida return, or delete the Florida return before paying and filing if it's not needed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900608-how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-online

If you've already paid for it and don't need it as explained above, you can talk to TurboTax Customer Support and tell them you didn't need it.

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

I received the 190 error when using  turbotax Business and mistakenly tried to open my turbotax deluxe file -which is different software. As someone already stated, if you are doing such a thing the 190 error will pop up. Once I realized what I was doing, I opened the correct version of turbotax and the error is now gone.

What 6 versions?  All for the same year?  You can only have 1 Business program and 1 personal program installed at the same time (for the same year).  You can have different years installed together.

If your .tax2020 File has any state returns in it you need to first download the state program.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See error 190

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-190-when-opening-file-in-turbot...

vickynbrian
Returning Member

I am having the same issue.  I purchased the home and business edition and completed my mom's final tax return, but when I went to do the 1041, I realized I needed the business edition.  So, I then purchased it and have begun her estate form.   I was trying to open her final return, which was done in Home & Business, in TT Business and I'm getting this message.  Is it possible to open it in TT Business?  or necessary?  She has nominee distributions that should go to the estate return.  Will the Home and Business handle the nominee distributions properly?

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

The "Formsets" message appears when you try to open a .tax20XX return using the incorrect version of TurboTax. 

In this case, you cannot import a TurboTax Home & Business return into TurboTax Business. You will need to manually enter her estate information into the estate tax return. (Note that Form 1041 is required by the IRS for an estate.)

jholcomb
Returning Member

Due to my error, I purchased TT Home and Business when I should have purchased Business.  I completed my personal return for 2023, then realized my error.  TT Customer Service refunded my $$ and I purchased Business.  They said my existing personal return could be opened with the new Business product.  When I tried, I got the above formset error (190).  Will I be able to open my personal return or do I have to start over?  Thx

@jholcomb wrote:

Due to my error, I purchased TT Home and Business when I should have purchased Business.  I completed my personal return for 2023, then realized my error.  TT Customer Service refunded my $$ and I purchased Business.  They said my existing personal return could be opened with the new Business product.  When I tried, I got the above formset error (190).  Will I be able to open my personal return or do I have to start over?  Thx

The 2 products are completely different.   A personal return cannot be opened in the Business product.   A personal return can only be opened in a personal tax product.   Likewise, a dedicated business return can only be opened in the Business product. 

The personal and Business tax data files both end with *.tax2023, but the same type of product has to be used to open the file associated with it.

how do I install formsets

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies if you are using TurboTax Online, and reopen TurboTax.  You can also try a different browser.

Also, make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies