turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtippin

How do I e-file a "Superseded" 1120S return?

I e-filed my original 1120S return earlier today and then realized shortly after that I made a mistake. I went through the (obscure) process to created an amended 1120S return, but TurboTax won't let me eFile it.

My understanding is that a "superseded" return is one filed prior to the filing deadline; after that it becomes and "amended" return. I see no options in TurboTax to file a "superseded" return - though it would appear that other tax prep software has that option.

Am I stuck waiting until after the March 15 due date and then filing an Amended return? Will TurboTax let me e-file the amended return after that date? Can I re-print my amended Schedule K-1 and use it on my personal return prior to filing my amended 1120S (and accompanying K-1)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

You can file a Superseded return in TurboTax, but not electronically.   Once you have made the corrections, you can reprint your K-1 and use on your personal return.  If you have other shareholders, you have to amend their K-1s also.

You cannot efile an amended return either.  You will have to mail it either way.

You would have to print and mail it in with the word "Superseded" across the top instead of putting an "X" in the amended bow.

You would do it the same way as an amended for below, but just write that on the top.  Per the IRS: "You will not see a checkbox or selection entitled “Superseding Return” available on the paper forms."

Amending a Corporate or S Corporation Return
  • To amend a tax return for a corporation, file form 1120x.
  • To amend taxes for an S corporation, create a copy of the original return (on Form 1120S), and check Box H-4 (Amended Return) on the copy. Then use the copy to make the changes to the return, and re-file.

If the change results in a change to shareholder information, you must also file an amended Schedule K-1 and give a copy of the amended K-1 to the shareholder. Make a copy of the original K-1 and check the correct box to indicate that it is an amended K-1. Then make the necessary changes.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
JulieH1

You can file a Superseded return in TurboTax, but not electronically.   Once you have made the corrections, you can reprint your K-1 and use on your personal return.  If you have other shareholders, you have to amend their K-1s also.

You cannot efile an amended return either.  You will have to mail it either way.

You would have to print and mail it in with the word "Superseded" across the top instead of putting an "X" in the amended bow.

You would do it the same way as an amended for below, but just write that on the top.  Per the IRS: "You will not see a checkbox or selection entitled “Superseding Return” available on the paper forms."

Amending a Corporate or S Corporation Return
  • To amend a tax return for a corporation, file form 1120x.
  • To amend taxes for an S corporation, create a copy of the original return (on Form 1120S), and check Box H-4 (Amended Return) on the copy. Then use the copy to make the changes to the return, and re-file.

If the change results in a change to shareholder information, you must also file an amended Schedule K-1 and give a copy of the amended K-1 to the shareholder. Make a copy of the original K-1 and check the correct box to indicate that it is an amended K-1. Then make the necessary changes.

mtippin

So you're saying to just make the corrections to my 1120S in TurboTax, print out "all required forms for filing" and write "SUPERSEDED" at the top? Or do I print the original and mark up the corrections in pen on the printed pages?
JulieH1

The first.  I do corporate taxes and do this very often.  It will be fine:)

I have the same situation.  Turbotax will let me create and print an Amended return with the Amended checkbox checked.  

Do you print out the Amended return from Turbotax and then write SUPERSEDED RETURN along the top?

i'm concerned that the return is then marked both Superseded and Amended (by the checkbox).  Will this work?  Or is there a better way????  Thanks

" Turbotax will let me create and print an Amended return"  don't do that.

Question: When amending form 1120S, the TurboTax Software includes form 8453-S along with the printed documents that are to be mailed in when submitting the amended form 1120S. My understanding is that form 8453S if for e-file only. It says at the top of the page "File electronically with the corporation's tax return. Do not file paper copies". Should I sign and mail in this document anyway, or is there another document that must be signed for mailed in paper forms? The TurboTax software will not allow me to e-file, so I am printing and paper filing the amendment.

I am really upset with Turbotax. They brag on how great they are but have not addressed this problem. It has existed since mid 2019. Here I am in September 2020 and the updates still do not fix it!

@JulieH1 Do I need to send an explanation with the mailed copy of the superseded 1120s? If so, any special way? I typed something in a Word doc. I have never had to do this. It's my husband's business.

I am sending in a superseded 1120s through the mail and it's only for the k-1 worksheet that I had to add the loan repayments to the shareholder (box 16e). I had already accounted for the loan repayment everywhere else, just not where it feeds into the K-1 statement. From what I can tell, this is the fix.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

When filing a superseding return, you do not need to attach an explanation (as you would for an amendment).  You do want to send all of the pages relating to the return, however.  The return will entirely replace the previously filed return in this instance.  

@MMason17 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@MMason17 

Make sure you send the return certified mail return receipt requested.

The taxpayer has the initial burden of proof that the return was "sent" prior to the original due date.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

If you file an extension, file your taxes, but make a mistake and refile before Oct 15th, (when they are technically due...)   Would that be considered superseded or ammended?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you filed your S-corporate tax return after you extended them, then they are technically filed.  If you need to correct mistakes on that return, it is a superseded return.  A return is considered superseded if it's filed before the original due date including extensions.  

Amended returns are filed after the due date of the return, including extensions.  In this case, anything filed after October 15th would be considered an amended return.  

Please see the attached link to the IRS for more details.  

Amended and Superseding Corporate Returns

@MauryM 

Follow up question, how do I file a superseded return if using Turbotax business?

The instructions you linked to were for using a different type of tax software.

If I print it out, there is no box to check for superseded, only for ammended.

Just wondering how to file a superseded 1120S using Turbotax Biusiness.

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

If you are filing a corrected Form 1120S after the original filing deadline of March 15, the form is considered "amended" and not superseded. However, if you filed a request for an extension of time to file, you have until October 15 to file a superseded return.

You can prepare a superseded or amended return in TurboTax Business. However, the return will need to be printed and filed by mail. At this time, TurboTax does not support e-filing more than one return. As mentioned above, you will need to write "Superseded" at the top of all forms before you mail them. TurboTax will mark an amended return as such (no need to write anything on the forms).

@MauryM 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies