Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Since Turbo Tax is not able to file the 8936 form for my electric car do you recommend that I have HR Block do my taxes?

The date when the form would be available for e-file from the IRS has been pushed back. (see: List of available IRS e-file forms.

We will provide an update as soon as we are able to do so.  

Since Turbo Tax is not able to file the 8936 form for my electric car do you recommend that I have HR Block do my taxes?

The 8936 form is NOT located on the list you linked to. It doesn't even have 2/20 as a release date. What are we supposed to believe?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS says they will release this form on February 14th. 

It should be available 24 hours after the IRS approves TurboTax to use the form. Currently, the IRS has not finalized the form. Here is the IRS web page to check the status of form 8936: Available Forms and Limitations. Scroll down to Form 8936.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

We have confirmed that Form 8606 and form 8936 are going out in this week's release. Our forms availability article will be updated  accordingly.

I e-filed on 2/17 with form 8936 using TurboTax online and my federal and state returns were rejected with this error: 

FDI_8936_EVCredit_ErrorHold - Your tax return is on hold pending ongoing updates to calculations on Form 8936, Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit. We plan to have the updates to the form done on February 20th, 2019.

I’m concerned because, according to the thread, there has been ongoing issues with Form 8936 support. Should I feel confident that this update will actually be done on 2/20? Will this bleed into March? 

js6558

Edit: deleted. 

Same thing happened to me. Filed my returns last night and got the rejection this morning. Now, the wait begins.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

We are aware of the issue and our team is in the processing of repairing it.  

This issue is projected to be fixed by 02/21/2020. You can sign up here to receive email notifications when updates related to this issue become available.

For more information, click here: Form 8936 calculations

rj99
Level 1

Any updates on this? Supposed to be fixed as of today but received no notification by Turbo Tax.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The fix for Form 8936 was included in today's release.  As insurance, delete Form 8936 and reenter it.  It should go through then.

After re-calculation turbo tax is showing my calculated tax credit as 1/4th the expected amount. When purchased before 12/31/2019 a Tesla Model 3 qualifies for a $1,875 credit. Turbo tax has calculated the credit as $469. This occurs on the page stating that my vehicle has qualified for a $1,875 credit, the “Credit Amount” box is pre-populated with “7,500”. The page asks the user to correct this amount based on qualification about. When I adjust the amount in the box to the correct “1,875” my new tax credit Amount is calculated at $469.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

TurboTax has released an update to Form 8936.  Follow these steps to insure that TurboTax is using the updated Form 8936. 

• Clear your browser's cookies and cache 

• Delete Form 8936  

• Enter your vehicle information on Form 8936 

This link Filing Tax Form 8936: Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit has information you may find helpful. 

yungk19

That is not correct. You need to input $7500 and Turbo Tax will automatically recalculate the 25% amount to $1875 for you. You are shortchanging yourself with that amount.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

As mentioned by user yungk19, 

Be sure that you do not change the maximum credit amount shown on the screen, otherwise the calculation will not be correct.  

Here is the explanation:  

TurboTax will calculate your maximum credit based on the details entered for your vehicle and any applicable phase-out based on the purchase date. 

On the screen where it shows the amount of credit you qualify to receive, the box at the bottom of the page is showing the maximum credit that would have been allowed for your vehicle had a phase-out not applied.  Your credit may be limited by the phase-out.  If you change the number on that screen, your credit will not be calculated correctly.  

The information on the screen says this field is for adjusting the amount of maximum credit it is does not match the manufacturer's specification.  The number entered here will be the maximum credit that you may receive prior to any limitation being applied.  If you change it, your credit will be based on the number entered.  

@kylevv

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies