turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

khill1963
Returning Member

Should I be able to get a QBI Deduction on my income from an S Corp?

Turbo Tax did my 1120 return but when doing my 1040, Turbo Tax did not qualify my S Corp income as eligible for QBI.  I don't even recall if it asked about this.  I've already filed my return but I think I missed out on the QBI deduction which would be significant.  Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If your S Corp is a QBI business, your K-1 will have a code V for box 17 on the K-1, and a Statement or STMT reporting Section 199A information.  If this is your situation, you may need to amend your tax return to report the correct QBI information for your S Corp.  Do not make any changes in the TurboTax file you used to file your tax return until instructed to do so in the TurboTax amendment routine.  Click this link for instructions on how to file an amended return with TurboTax.

Once you are ready to make changes, go to the K-1 section and edit the K-1 for your S Corp to enter your box 17 code V information properly.  On that box 17 page, enter the code V, but you don't necessarily need to enter an amount. Continue through the K-1 interview after you have entered your code V for box 17.  There is a screen near the end of the interview titled "We need some more information about your 199A income or loss".  This screen must be completed in order for your box 17 code V information to be correctly input into TurboTax.  After that screen there is another Let's check for some uncommon adjustments" screen that may or may not be required.

Here are screenshots of the screens you are looking for:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
khill1963
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply.  I did figure out that I had missed that part when I did my K-1 entry on my personal taxes.  I have the amended return ready to file as soon as I can get confirmation that my original return has been processed.  I assume that I should wait to mail the amended return so that there is no confusion.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Yes, wait to mail in your amended return until after it's been processed by the IRS and/or the state agency.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies