turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paul610

Schedule H Submission Problem

I am trying to submit my tax return that includes a Schedule H for Nanny Tax. 

I entered all of the necessary information from the Schedule H into TurboTax. However, when I try to submit the return and TurboTax conducts it's review of my return, TurboTax throws an error and says I need to delete all of the entries I made from the form in order to be able to submit. The error is "Box [x] should be empty". 

Additionally, TurboTax is requiring I enter military PCS data even though I did not change residency since 2017. 

I am unsure how to proceed with filing without submitting an incorrect return due to these issues.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, for the military PCS question you will indicate how you arrived to the state you are currently stationed in.  Since that was some years ago it would be a Permanent Change of Station not Temporary.

For the Schedule H,  if you using a desktop (CD/downloaded) product switch to "Forms Mode".  Typically, only 1 or maybe two of the top three questions need to have an answer.  If question "C" is answered "NO" then the program flags the form as not needed and the entries will need to be deleted. Also if A is answered "Yes" then B and C should be blank.

If you are using an online product it would be helpful to see a screenshot of the error page to help locate the cause within the interview or give advice as to where to find the entry or how to make the correction on the error page.     

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
paul610

Question A is marked Yes. Questions B and C are both unmarked. However, Part I Question 9 is marked Yes, which is the same question as Question C. Questions 10-12 are also marked Yes.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, that all seems correct.  The other item is to look at is are there two Schedules H showing in your forms list?  Perhaps a question was answered about a spouse paying for a household employee.  If that is the case, delete the extraneous Schedule H. 

If none of these seem to solve your issue it may be helpful to see your return without seeing your personal information.  You could create a sanitized version of your return and post a token number.  Then one of our experts may be able to see exactly what is going on with your return. 

TurboTax CD/Download:

If you like, you can send a copy of your return that will be scrubbed to eliminate your personal data by using these steps:

1. Click on Online in the top left menu of TurboTax CD/Download for Windows
  2. Select 'Send Tax File to Agent'
  3. Write down or send an image of your token number and state then place in this issue.
  4. We can then review your exact scenario for a solution.
  5. Please also tell us any states included in the return. This is necessary for us to view the return. 

TurboTax Online:

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools.
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent.
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number.
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number and your state. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies