turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule 3 line 12e Stating line 11 to large but it's 0 how to resolve this issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Schedule 3 line 12e Stating line 11 to large but it's 0 how to resolve this issue?

I have the same question. This is in federal review.

I have the same issue too, except with Premier for Mac

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

To get past this screen so you can file your taxes, you need to update Schedule SE-T.

The process: delete Sch SE-T, take a quick run through of the self-employment to recalculate Sch SE-T, and then turn off the Max Deferral.

To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

First, delete Sch SE-T that applies by following these steps:

1. From the left menu, select Tax Tools.
  2. Select Tools.
  3. Scroll to Delete a Form.
  4. Scroll to Sch SE-T, select Delete, confirm the deletion.

Next, to replace Sch SE-T, return to the self-employment income & expenses interview in the Income & Expenses section and select Edit/Add.

1. Select Edit for your business.
  2. Scroll down to Done so that the Sch SE is recalculated. 
  3. Finish any other questions in the self-employment interview and click Continue

Lastly, revisit the section for the Self-employment tax deferral entry:

1. Return to the Deductions & Credits section.
  2. Scroll to Tax relief related to COVID-19 and Show More.
  3. Select Self-employment tax deferral and select Revisit.
  4. Answer Yes at the next screen to get back to Let's start by getting your eligible income.
    1. If you do not want to defer any self-employment income, "Enter your eligible self-employment income" should be blank.
      1. Select Continue.
    2. At Tell us how much you'd like to defer"Enter amount" should be blank.
      1. Select Continue.
  5. Scroll down and select Wrap up Tax Breaks and Continue.
  6. Run through the Federal Review again.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi @CatinaT1 I followed your instructions, went to federal review, and now there's a new prompt to check line 18. See screenshot.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 6.39.28 PM.png

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

This question is associated with the option to defer paying some of your self-employment tax due to Covid.  

If you do not want to defer any of the self-employment tax, then enter '0' for line 18 when you see the review question in the error check.

If you do wish to defer paying the self-employment tax, then line 18 is asking for the portion of your Schedule C and/or Schedule F profit that is attributed to March 27, 2020 through December 31, 2020.  

@nebirah

lesfleck

I don't have a SE-T form to delete.  I have an SE-S listed.  Delete that and re-add?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Correct. Form SE-T is for taxpayer, Form SE-S is for spouse. 

Deleting and re-adding Form SE will apply to either taxpayer or spouse.

@lesfleck

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting the same error and this fix did not work for me.  I am still getting the "Line 11 too large" error with "$0" as the value entered.  I deleted and recreated both Sch SE-T and Sch SE-S forms.

We are not self-employed, but did employ a worker in our home (summer nanny).  We filled out a Sch H for that.

The fix that worked for me (which may or may not work for you) is when you see that error appear in the federal review, delete the "0" in the box on the top. Disregard what's in the below form. Just delete the number in the top, and move on.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Having a Schedule H will also trigger the ''Line 11 too large'' error.   As an employer of a household employee, you are eligible (if you have tax due instead of a refund) to defer the SE tax you owe.   To get this error to go away, delete the 0 that is there and leave the field blank (assuming you do not wish to defer payment).    @Anonymous    @nebirah  

If you do defer the tax, the deferred deposits of the employer's share of Social Security tax must be deposited by the following dates (referred to as the "applicable dates") to be treated as timely (and avoid a failure to deposit penalty):

• On December 31, 2021, 50 percent of the eligible deferred amount; and
  • On December 31, 2022, the remaining amount.

However, if an employer pays any amount before the applicable dates, any such payment is first applied to reduce the employer's liability for an amount due on December 31, 2021, and then to the amount due on December 31, 2022.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies