Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

S-corp distributions and a K-1

My law firm is run as a S-Corp.  I own 100% of the stock.  When I entered the business income on the Sch C - I did not include distributions to myself, therefore the business income reported on my 1040 includes the distribution amounts.  If I then fill out a K-1 for the distributions, it doubles my income reported, therefore also my taxes.  Should I be reporting this differently?  I originally did not fill out a K-1...do I need one if I am reporting the income?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NicoleR

An S-Corp is a 100% separate entity from your personal return.  You do need to fill a corporate return for it.  The TurboTax product which can file for S-Corp is TurboTax Business

As part of the business return there will be a K-1 generated which is used on your personal return.

How to add K-1 to your personal return if you haven't filed yet:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax, if it's not already open.
  2. In your TurboTax program, search for K-1 or K1 (lower-case works too) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. This will take you to the Schedules K-1 or Q screen. Answer Yes and follow the prompts. (see Thumbnail #1) 
    • Note: You may be prompted to upgrade to Premier, depending on which version of TurboTax you're in.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
NicoleR

An S-Corp is a 100% separate entity from your personal return.  You do need to fill a corporate return for it.  The TurboTax product which can file for S-Corp is TurboTax Business

As part of the business return there will be a K-1 generated which is used on your personal return.

How to add K-1 to your personal return if you haven't filed yet:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax, if it's not already open.
  2. In your TurboTax program, search for K-1 or K1 (lower-case works too) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. This will take you to the Schedules K-1 or Q screen. Answer Yes and follow the prompts. (see Thumbnail #1) 
    • Note: You may be prompted to upgrade to Premier, depending on which version of TurboTax you're in.

qjustme

? WHY ARE YOU FILING AN SCH C FOR BUS DO NOT. YOUR SCORP SHOULD FILE BY ITSELF GENERATING A K-1 WHICH IS PROFIT OR LOSS OF SCORP TO FILE WITH 1040 FRONT PAGE UNDER SCORP PROFIT OR LOSS. THIS IS YOUR INCOME FROM BUS.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies