turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

talleen00

Do I include sales tax collected from customers in my gross sales on schedule C?

Line 23 of the IRS code says  you can deduct state and local taxes imposed on you as the seller of goods, If you collected the sales tax from the buyer, You must also  include the amount collected in gross receipts or sales on line one.

But it goes on to  say do not deduct state and local sales taxes imposed on the buyer that you were required to collect and pay over to the state. These taxes are not included in gross receipts or sales and are not a deductible expense. 

So are the sales tax is that I am remitting to the state being imposed on me or the buyer? That will determine whether or not I need to list the sales taxes under gross and then deduct them or not list them at all.

See photos from IRS website attached. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I include sales tax collected from customers in my gross sales on schedule C?

You can do it either way  but be consistent ... so use the way that is easier for you based on your bookkeeping system.

1) report gross income then deduct the sales taxes paid out  

OR

2) report only net income ( gross - sales taxes) 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You can do it either way  but be consistent ... so use the way that is easier for you based on your bookkeeping system.

1) report gross income then deduct the sales taxes paid out  

OR

2) report only net income ( gross - sales taxes) 

So then I wonder where do you report the excise tax amount you sent to the State?

There is a section for taxes paid ... put it there  OR  make a category of your own at the end of the Sch C expenses section. 

I sold my rental property and there was some tax taken out of the sale. There is a section that says locality or State. Which one should I enter?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies