Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jay440

I invested $6,500 in 2015 in a start up and the business failed how do I deduct my loss

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I invested $6,500 in 2015 in a start up and the business failed how do I deduct my loss

Yes, you report this on your personal tax return. You will enter this under the Investment Income area of Wages & Income.

1. Choose Personal >> Wages and Income, then I’ll Choose What I Work On.
  2. Investment Income >> Stocks, Mutual Funds >> Start/Update.
  3. Type of Investment: Everything Else
  4. Enter a description, Net Proceeds = $0 and date of sale = dissolution date.
  5. Acquired: Other method
  6. Cost Basis: your investment basis at dissolution
  7. Date of Acquisition: date you made your investment

TurboTax will calculate the loss on this investment and determine if it was short- or long-term. If you have other capital gains, the loss will offset some or all of the gains. Otherwise, up to $3,000 of the capital loss will go to line 13 of Form 1040 and offset other income. The remaining loss over $3,000 will be carried forward each year until used up (applied to capital gains and/or ordinary income).

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Yes, you report this on your personal tax return. You will enter this under the Investment Income area of Wages & Income.

1. Choose Personal >> Wages and Income, then I’ll Choose What I Work On.
  2. Investment Income >> Stocks, Mutual Funds >> Start/Update.
  3. Type of Investment: Everything Else
  4. Enter a description, Net Proceeds = $0 and date of sale = dissolution date.
  5. Acquired: Other method
  6. Cost Basis: your investment basis at dissolution
  7. Date of Acquisition: date you made your investment

TurboTax will calculate the loss on this investment and determine if it was short- or long-term. If you have other capital gains, the loss will offset some or all of the gains. Otherwise, up to $3,000 of the capital loss will go to line 13 of Form 1040 and offset other income. The remaining loss over $3,000 will be carried forward each year until used up (applied to capital gains and/or ordinary income).

reg-20-flamespla
Returning Member

If you're in the first $1M of funding you can take a direct deduction, how does TT handle that?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mariannehudson/2014/11/17/tax-[product key removed]-investor-should-kno...

"This is the most important tip for most angel investors because IRC Section 1244 gives investors the ability to take an ordinary income deduction on losses rather than the standard capital loss deductions. There are caveats such as needing to be part of the first $1 million of capital raised by the company and a few other requirements."

reg-20-flamespla
Returning Member

reg-20-flamespla
Returning Member

Hmm the forum is scrubbing the URL for some reason, here's a link....

reg-20-flamespla
Returning Member

well this is fun,  just remove the spaces in this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mariannehudson/2014/11/17/       tax-[product key removed]-investor-should-know/#f670dafd0694

reg-20-flamespla
Returning Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mariannehudson/2014/11/17/   tax-   tips-   every-   angel-   investor-  should- know/#f670dafd0694

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies