Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why are my four 1099-NECs generating four different Schedule C forms?

I've been using Deluxe (download) for years and have never encountered this problem. I have four 1099-NEC documents for my (one) business, but they keep generating four separate Schedule C forms on my return. I've delete and retried, and also exited the program and retried, but no luck. Also, in the interview section, it continues to show 0 dollars even after entering all the 1099-NECs, even with the form list showing the four separate Schedule Cs and the correct overall income on the 1040.

What's going on here? How can I get the four sources of income to appear on just one Schedule C, as I've had success in doing for years past?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I took a look at your return, and saw the 4 untitled Schedule Cs.   I think it is a matter of the order in which you are linking the 1099s to the Schedule C. 

I am going to list the steps that I took to fix it, below.  If you have any issues or need screenshots, let me know.   I believe you are working directly in Forms mode, if not, go to Forms mode in TurboTax Deluxe desktop.   Then,

1. Delete all four Schedule Cs that are there.  They have ! marks next to them, after you delete them, the 1099s will have the ! marks next to them.  (SS attached)
  2. Scroll up to the first 1099 and click in the pink box (they will all have ! marks now), then click on the link arrow.   
  3. Ignore all the untitled Schedule C links that are listed and type consult in the 'Create new copy' box.  
  4. Click Link.
  5. Click on the 2nd 1099 and do the same thing, but the consult Schedule C will be in the list, so select it and click Link (**there is a scroll bar**).
  6. Then do the same with the 3rd and 4th.   You should end up with no exclamation marks next to the 1099s and one Schedule C (consult) with an exclamation point that you will need to go through and complete the entry for.

You can do this without forms mode also.   In the Federal Taxes tab, click on Wages & Income and scroll down to Business Items.   You can edit your Schedule C(s) from there as well as in Forms mode.   Also, if you scroll up to 1099-NEC on that page, you will see the correct total once they are all linked to the same Schedule C.   Let me know if you need more than the screenshots below.    You can delete and add Schedule Cs this way also (step-by-step mode). 

Step 1

FIRST-- DELETE all 4.png

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Delete all the 1099NEC and Schedule Cs.  Actually I would just enter your total income as Other self employment income or as Cash or General income.  You don't need to get a 1099NEC or 1099Misc or 1099K.  Even if you did you can enter all your income as Cash.  Only the total goes to schedule C.

Thanks, @VolvoGirl. I am prepared to do this as a last-ditch effort. But I'm flabbergasted and frustrated that this isn't working as it has in the past, and the issue should be easily resolvable.

(Deleted)

While I have one option offered above, hoping others might chime in with suggestions. No one else is encountering this problem?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

We can't duplicate your issue.  As you progress through the screens to enter your 1099-NEC the 4th screen says "Self-Employed 1099-NEC Income" at the top and asks which business generated this income.  You should have the same business selected on that screen for each of the 1099-NECs that you have received.  Then you will go to that business and enter the corresponding deductions and other income.

@okaneplease 

Thanks, @RobertB4444. I'm marking the same business for all four 1099s, but TurboTax keeps generating separate Schedule Cs anyway.

Not asking anyone to replicate my issue. Just wondering if anyone is encountering the same glitch and can offer a solution.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

I would like to take a deeper look at this. However, I need a diagnostic file, which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the directions below.

1. Open your return.
  2. Click the Online tab in the black bar across the top of TurboTax and select “Send Tax File to Agent”
  3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created.  Click on OK and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.
  4. Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.  

Thanks, @DawnC. How would I send the Token Number? Would posting it as a reply here be too "public"?

Not sure I can get to it today; if not, would tomorrow be okay?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You will get a number and, YES, post it here.   I can get the sanitized copy with the code (none of your personal info is visible on the sanitized copy).   And no problem, whenever you get a chance is fine!   

Thanks again, @DawnC. I just reentered the four 1099-NECs yet another time and they continue to create separate Schedule Cs! And this time, after I designated the first 1099 as a business called "consulting," TurboTax wouldn't even let me choose that business for any of the remaining 1099s. Strange.

Token number is 1171411.

I'll look forward to what you find, with appreciation of your help.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

I took a look at your return, and saw the 4 untitled Schedule Cs.   I think it is a matter of the order in which you are linking the 1099s to the Schedule C. 

I am going to list the steps that I took to fix it, below.  If you have any issues or need screenshots, let me know.   I believe you are working directly in Forms mode, if not, go to Forms mode in TurboTax Deluxe desktop.   Then,

1. Delete all four Schedule Cs that are there.  They have ! marks next to them, after you delete them, the 1099s will have the ! marks next to them.  (SS attached)
  2. Scroll up to the first 1099 and click in the pink box (they will all have ! marks now), then click on the link arrow.   
  3. Ignore all the untitled Schedule C links that are listed and type consult in the 'Create new copy' box.  
  4. Click Link.
  5. Click on the 2nd 1099 and do the same thing, but the consult Schedule C will be in the list, so select it and click Link (**there is a scroll bar**).
  6. Then do the same with the 3rd and 4th.   You should end up with no exclamation marks next to the 1099s and one Schedule C (consult) with an exclamation point that you will need to go through and complete the entry for.

You can do this without forms mode also.   In the Federal Taxes tab, click on Wages & Income and scroll down to Business Items.   You can edit your Schedule C(s) from there as well as in Forms mode.   Also, if you scroll up to 1099-NEC on that page, you will see the correct total once they are all linked to the same Schedule C.   Let me know if you need more than the screenshots below.    You can delete and add Schedule Cs this way also (step-by-step mode). 

Step 1

FIRST-- DELETE all 4.png

Thanks, @DawnC. I'll check all this later tonight or tomorrow. Can you please delete the TurboTax screenshot you sent? It's got names attached to some of the items.

(Tried to message you directly, but apparently can't?)

DawnC
Expert Alumni

No problem.   **All personal identifying information is removed from the data, but I will redact the name descriptions.   Let me know if you have any issues..

@DawnC: The "Forms in my return" show names (I put them there), so best to delete the whole image, which I've saved.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies