turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where in the 2020 return do I enter my economic stimulus payment information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On your 2020 return (filed in 2021), you will be asked about the stimulus money. Enter any amount you have already received (if any) . Then the program will calculate if you are owed more money (which would include any amount you qualify for the second stimulus money), or it will show you don't qualify.

After the Other Tax Situations section (Federal Review) of the 2020 TurboTax program you will be asked about the stimulus payment received or not received in 2020.

After you asked about the stimulus payment & you qualify, you will get the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus) on the 2020 federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

View solution in original post

@nickoti180   

After the Other Tax Situations section (Federal Review) of the 2020 TurboTax program you will be asked about the stimulus payment received or not received in 2020.

After you asked about the stimulus payment & you qualify, you will get the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus) on the 2020 federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

View solution in original post

16 Replies

On your 2020 return (filed in 2021), you will be asked about the stimulus money. Enter any amount you have already received (if any) . Then the program will calculate if you are owed more money (which would include any amount you qualify for the second stimulus money), or it will show you don't qualify.

After the Other Tax Situations section (Federal Review) of the 2020 TurboTax program you will be asked about the stimulus payment received or not received in 2020.

Nisi

I entered the amount of stimulus check that I did receive, but showed 0 for the one not received. But the refund shows a total of both checks! Am I missing something?

There is no item in TurboTax that lists the stimulus payments.  Payments that were not received are added to your return. The payments are grouped together on Line 30 of the 1040 form.

When you put zero for the amount of the second refund credit, then your refund will go up by the amount of your your second payment.  
After you enter your first payment amount and zero for the second payment, then check the amount of the stimulus you will receive by going to the 1040 Preview.

Here are the steps to view your 1040:

1. In the panel at the left of the screen, select Tax Tools
  2. Then Tools
  3. Select Tax Summary
  4. Now go to the panel at the left of the screen and select Preview my 1040
  5. Line 30 of the 1040 will show the amount of stimulus payment that is added to your refund.

Carl42
Returning Member

I may have erred on my efiled  tax return.  I didn't receive the second payment until January, so is this to be reported now or next year?  

There is no way that I should be getting a  second  payment

Thanks for the help anyone can give me

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Your second-round stimulus payment should be entered on your 2020 return. You will not be required to pay back a stimulus payment if, based on your 2020 tax returns, you no longer qualify for the amount you received. 

You stated that you already e-filed your return. If your return was accepted, you can amend your return. For more information, please see How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

@Carl42

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was never prompted to enter either of my economic stimulus checks. Where can I go in the Turbotax program to enter them? 

@nickoti180   

After the Other Tax Situations section (Federal Review) of the 2020 TurboTax program you will be asked about the stimulus payment received or not received in 2020.

Thanks for your quick response.

After I went through each of the "other tax situations" and click "done with other" the next page that comes up is "we're ready to review your federal return" and I click "continue" it just takes me through the review. At no time is there a prompt to enter my economic stimulus information. 

So I am still stuck unless you should have any further insight. 

Thanks!!

I found it as the first item after pressing the "Federal Review" link in the Federal Taxes Tab.

LimeyDi
Returning Member

I have e-filed my return and the TuirboTax Federal Review of that file does not work in the same way as before filing the rerturn. I cannot see the total amount of the stimulus I received and I have a feeling I may have entered only one of the two I received in 2020, the first via credit card, the second via direct deposit. I need to be sure I entered the full total. If not, after my return is accepted i will file an amended return.

@LimeyDi   Any more Stimulus you qualify for (or the wrong amount) will be on 1040 line 30.  Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Oh, you already filed?

Here's an alternate way to print by opening the filed return back up to print at the Print Center, where you can also get the worksheets.

Log in and at the Tax Home or in the section Your Tax Returns & Documents for 2020, look for a link Add a State. Click on Add a State. (you don't really add one. That's just to open your return back up.)

After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.

Then choose Print, save, view this year's return.

The next screen should offer some options: Just my tax returns or include government worksheets (optional), or include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)

And if the amount on line 30 for the Recovery Rebate credit is wrong you do not have to amend.  The IRS will adjust it for you.  They know how much they already sent you for the first 2 stimulus checks.

LimeyDi
Returning Member

Thanks, i think you have answered  the question i didn't ask, which is, will the IRS think I tried to understate the payment I received and penalize me for that. The 2nd payment of $600 didn't hit my account until after 1/1/2021. Let me just reconfirm: even though (1) I didn't include the $600 received in 2021 on my return, the IRS will CORRECT this on my filed 2020 return and (2) they will process the return they have corrected without penalty to me?

Right.  If the 600 showed up on line 30 like you were trying to claim it again, then the IRS will reduce your refund for it or send you a bill.  No penalty.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies