Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ktjanos

2018 Final K-1 Form 1065 still have a loss carryover to 2019, why?

Disposed of all shares of PTP/MLP in 2018.  Received both a final K-1 (Form 1065) and a 1099B.  Manipulated the basis to properly reflect the capital gains and ordinary income related to the sale on Form 4797 and Schedule D.  Had a loss carry forward from 2017.  2018 capital losses are less than $1,700 including the carry forward. Why does TT show a loss carry forward to 2019?

Is there a workaround?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When going through the interview, you have to select "This partnership ended..." and "Complete disposition".  That will trigger TT to release all passive losses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

When going through the interview, you have to select "This partnership ended..." and "Complete disposition".  That will trigger TT to release all passive losses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

As a follow-on to the original questioner, does saying "the partnership ended" have the same meaning as "I disposed of my entire partnership interest"? I find the wording confusing, as the PTP has not ended, it's just that I no longer own any of it.

The PTP may not have closed buy YOU disposed of your entire interest ... if you indicate this the loss will be released. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies