Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What Code W Detail to select for Portfolio Deduction in Box 13, form 1065?

I purchased a stock a couple years ago and completely sold them out last year. I got a schedule K for it.

In box 13, there's a code W with an amount of $38. The supplemental information says that this is portfolio deduction that was previously in 13K.

The $38 amount also showed up in box 20 as code B. 

What option should I select when prompted to enter code W detail? I cannot skip it since when doing the smart check, I was asked to "enter 38. on the appropriate line or lines in this section" since "Other Deductions Code W Line 1 has no entry."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Since it was formerly a business interest expense (13K), enter the Code W as Nonpassive Deductions to be reported on Schedule E, page 2.

The entry in Box 20 code B is investment interest expense, which used to be deductible on Schedule A as Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction subject to 2% limitation.  The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act  eliminated this deduction for Tax Years 2018-2025.  However, it will flow to the state return if it is allowed there.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Since it was formerly a business interest expense (13K), enter the Code W as Nonpassive Deductions to be reported on Schedule E, page 2.

The entry in Box 20 code B is investment interest expense, which used to be deductible on Schedule A as Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction subject to 2% limitation.  The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act  eliminated this deduction for Tax Years 2018-2025.  However, it will flow to the state return if it is allowed there.

Thanks!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If you go to box 13, enter code W and leave the $ amount blank. Press continue and there will be a code W detail screen. While there may not be a specific entry for portfolio deduction, you may select I have another description item.  Here you can enter a description and dollar amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies