turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlincoln

What category do I put in box 14 for my sick covid pay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Are you asking about a Form W-2? Enter the form exactly as it is. 

Box 14 Listed as: "ESL1" on my W-2 was given by my employer when they shut down for the initial Covid response.  This box was filled out by the employer due to the days I was out while they figured out how to come back. This pay was also given by my (7) PTO days earned that I used for this. Turbo Tax only has a few options I can pick for Indiana. One of those options is "Emergency Family Leave Wages". There are also 2 other options listing a "Sick leave wages subject to $500 per day" & "Sick leave wages subject to $200 per day" option.  How do I know which option to pick? Please help & Thank you! 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If none of the categories apply, scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Other–not on list.  It may also say No match or Not-Applicable.   We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you later in the interview.  In TurboTax, enter the description from your W-2's box 14 on the first field in the row, then enter the dollar amount.    Those 2 fields are required, but oftentimes, there is no code that exactly matches the employer's description, but that is okay.   Employers can put just about anything in box 14; they use their own codes and terminology for Box 14.  You do not need to worry about finding a matching code in TurboTax.  There are several different types of pay reported there and most do not have their own code.  

It’s also where your employer can report any qualified sick or family leave wages under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.   These types of wages may be reported on your W-2 or on a separate supplemental statement, and include:

• Sick leave you took because you were ill
  • Sick leave you took because you provided care to someone else
  • Emergency family leave

@thomasd2421

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Pepa56

200 or 5000

RaifH
Expert Alumni

Use Sick leave wages subject to $200 per day if you took sick leave to take care of others who contracted COVID-19 during 2021. Use Sick leave wages subject to $511 per day if you took sick leave because you yourself contracted COVID-19 and were paid sick leave.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies