Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vehicle traded in

I traded in my 2016 fully depreciated truck for a 2020, I thought this would be a simple transaction, but when I went to post it on turbo tax things did not go as expected, how is this reported?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Vehicle traded in

You will enter the transaction in Business Vehicle Expense in the Business Expenses section.

Vehicle traded in

that is what I am trying to do, it ask about sales price, but not trade in value, it seems like the two vehicles should some how be connected

Vehicle traded in

The amount you received for the trade in *IS* the sale price.  That is what you use.

No, the new vehicle has nothing to do with reporting the sale of the old vehicle.

Was this vehicle always used 100% for business?  If there was personal use, TurboTax is NOT set up for reporting the sale, and you can't report the sale in the vehicle section.

Vehicle traded in

@racelawn wrote:

that is what I am trying to do, it ask about sales price, but not trade in value, it seems like the two vehicles should some how be connected

The two vehicles are not connected because tax reform (TCJA) eliminated like-kind exchange treatment for assets other than real estate. 

You have to treat your trade-in as a sale.

Vehicle traded in

after doing a little research I see the change from 2017-2018, that is life, thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies