turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self employed retirement "maximize" contribution- how to reverse/cancel this?

Using Turbotax Home and Business 2020 download for Mac. Question for self-employed business section.

In general, though nice to be able to use the "maximize" contribution for self employed retirement contribution in order to calculate how much able to contribute for "employer" contribution-- it seems if I choose to get the information on maximum "allowed" by checking off the box, but then say I end up wanting to contribute slightly less than that amount, the program assumes that I am definitely going to contribute that entire amount even if I will not and if I have already "unchecked" the maximize contribution. 

I tried to directly go into the forms Schedule C to enter in the lower amount I plan to contribute, but the higher "maximized" amount stays on the form (so does not appear that this can be changed).

I tried completely deleting my business and income to start over again from the beginning, but then under Self Employed Retirement- even with maximize contribution unchecked and "new" business entered, the higher maximized amount stays in the program.

Seems like this needs to be fixed- any update on this issue?

This feature to calculate allowed self-employment retirement contributions is overall very helpful since it can be difficult to determine net amount after 1/2 of self-employment tax, etc., but this feature does not appear that it can be "undone"...?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Try these steps to remove it - and be sure to let us know if it doesn't work so we can troubleshoot further.  

1. Login toTurboTax.com or open your TurboTax program.
  2. Under Income and Expenses expand the section Other Business Situations by clicking on Show more.
  3. Click Start (or Revisit) beside Self-Employed Retirement Plans.
  4. Answer Yes to the question Did you make a 2020 self employed-retirement plan contribution (even if you did not, so we can get to this section.)
  5. Answer yes again to "Do you want to make a contribution to a Keogh, SEP or SIMPLE retirement plan for 2020.
  6. On the screen Your contributions remove any entries you do not wish to have and/or uncheck the box "Maximize". 
  7. Click on Review in the menu on the left (or across the top) to re-calculate the forms. 

"Employee Tax Expert SusanY1"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
markr4

I have the same problem.  Did you ever figure it out?  I have not tried contacting tech support.  Is that possible?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Try these steps to remove it - and be sure to let us know if it doesn't work so we can troubleshoot further.  

1. Login toTurboTax.com or open your TurboTax program.
  2. Under Income and Expenses expand the section Other Business Situations by clicking on Show more.
  3. Click Start (or Revisit) beside Self-Employed Retirement Plans.
  4. Answer Yes to the question Did you make a 2020 self employed-retirement plan contribution (even if you did not, so we can get to this section.)
  5. Answer yes again to "Do you want to make a contribution to a Keogh, SEP or SIMPLE retirement plan for 2020.
  6. On the screen Your contributions remove any entries you do not wish to have and/or uncheck the box "Maximize". 
  7. Click on Review in the menu on the left (or across the top) to re-calculate the forms. 

"Employee Tax Expert SusanY1"

hi- fyi- they posted an answer- see via original post

it seems to work (now) if you go through all the windows and unclick "maximize" on every screen (there are 2 screens in which the "maximize" button gets defaulted in a way-- so make sure to scroll through those to "uncheck" the box, if you end up not contributing the maximum computed amount.)

So it now shows the contribution I decided to make instead of the max computed amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies