turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DSloon

Schedule C income vs. 1099-Misc income

I have a small business and record my income using QuickBooks.  I have TurboTax import my information for my schedule C and it calculates my business income.  Do I still need to add my 1099-Misc's in the personal income category as well?  Or am I over stating my income then?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Enter the amount from the 1099 to your Schedule C directly and do not enter the 1099-MISC separately.  in TurboTax Online follow these steps to enter the income:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  2. Search for self employed income (use this exact phrase, don't add a hyphen) and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  3. Answer Yes on the Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? screen
    • If you land on the Your 2021 self-employed work summary page, select Review next to the work you're adding income for
  4. Answer the questions on the following screens until you arrive at Let's enter the income for your work
  5. Select the form that applies to your situation and Continue
  6. You can enter the info from your 1099 form on the following screens

@TaxerLNR

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

You would be duplicating your income. 

DSloon

I had a feeling that would be the case - thanks 🙂

sxu2012

I have the same issue. Basically I already recorded the income in my quickbooks and I got a 1099-misc for this same income.  What is the best practice? Do I record this 1099-misc in the business income section of Turbotax and then remove this in my quickbooks? Is there another better way?

As long as you already entered or imported the 1099 income yourself or from QuickBooks, you don't need to enter the actual 1099Misc.  Only the total income shows up on Schedule C line 1.  

TaxerLNR

As a home business I need to use the Schedule C but my business income is all on a 1099-MISC. I can't report both and double tax my income. How do I do this ?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Enter the amount from the 1099 to your Schedule C directly and do not enter the 1099-MISC separately.  in TurboTax Online follow these steps to enter the income:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  2. Search for self employed income (use this exact phrase, don't add a hyphen) and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  3. Answer Yes on the Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? screen
    • If you land on the Your 2021 self-employed work summary page, select Review next to the work you're adding income for
  4. Answer the questions on the following screens until you arrive at Let's enter the income for your work
  5. Select the form that applies to your situation and Continue
  6. You can enter the info from your 1099 form on the following screens

@TaxerLNR

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies