Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

S-Corp sold 1 of 2 businesses. How do I report it in TurboTax?

I am 50% owner in an S-Corp that operates 2 businesses (franchises with the same franchisor). We sold 1 of the 2 franchises in 2020. I know there will be some depreciation recapture but how do I report the actual sale of the business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Since you said your S-Corp owned both franchises, then the sale must have been structured as an Asset Sale.  For an asset sale, you would dispose, on you books, of each of the assets sold.  There are specific rules about how you allocate the sales proceeds to various asset classes under Sec 1060.  For each asset sold, you would report it in TurboTax as an asset sale.

There are also reporting requirements.  The Seller and the Purchaser in an applicable asset acquisition each must report information concerning the amount of consideration in the transaction and its allocation among the assets transferred. You must also report information about any subsequent adjustments to consideration.

The allocation method and reporting requirements are beyond the scope of this Community.  You may want to consult with local tax professional.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I see. As far as the reporting requirements, I believe you may be referring to Form 8594 Asset Acquisition Statement. It looks like both seller and purchaser must file that form so can I correctly assume that the allocation of assets must match on each filer's return? We just had a total purchase price, not a breakdown of the value of the assets.

Thanks for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies