Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

help: cannot file because of schedule C error: employee credits for small businesses

Form 3800 is available online from IRS, has been for some time now. So the IRS has incorrectly released the form after a extended time when it was released as a draft only, but TT knows better than the IRS, and that the IRS is wrong and the form should not be used. I will go with interesting.

help: cannot file because of schedule C error: employee credits for small businesses

@DaveF1006

I have to ask, have you actually read the posts in this thread? Do you seriously think none of us have tried to file with the understanding that we MIGHT have to amend something later? Obviously, this issue is not your fault nor in your control. However, I'd advise you to escalate this to the IT department and hound them on our behalf.

TT is not allowing us to electronically file with this "error". We are being given the option to print out our tax return and mail it in, which is not what any of us are trying to do. No one would be encountering this issue if we were simply trying to mail our return instead of e-filing.

All of those posting here know their business, and we can assure you that IF we qualified for this credit that we're allegedly waiting on, we would know it before TT. We don't qualify for it. Never have. So we don't care. We just want to submit our returns electronically and get on with our businesses. This is garbage having to check back every so many days to see if we can file online only to see the date keeps getting moved farther out.

If H&R Block can have their system set up to not get stuck with this why can't TT?

Yeah, Dave is clearly not addressing the issue in this thread. We're all trying to transmit our returns only to get looped back to "Check This Entry". And then also getting a cryptic note saying it will be fixed on a moving future date.  I notice the cries are starting to pile up on this thread and it's only going to get a lot worse as more folks are getting around to their taxes. 

Like most here, there is no tax credit due and this unnecessary delay is just arrogance on TT's part. I have used the product for at least ten years now and I'll be one of those going to HR Block next year. 

Maddening. Stuck in the same loop for weeks. Check back on this date. Psych! Next week. Psych! Next week. . . . Psych! Now March 5. Funny how you pay and then they tell you that you can't file yet. . . . Classic gotcha. Turbotax, I've used you for over 10 years. This will likely be the last. Disappointing. 

I spoke with a supervisor at TT just now on 2/27/24 in the evening. They were very little help. At first I had spoken with TT customer service who blamed the issue entirely upon the IRS yet it's not the IRS fault at all in this case. They stated that the IRS form 8881 was not finalized or released by the IRS yet.  I researched this and found out that is entirely not true and in fact the form is readily available on the IRS site and other tax software providers had used it already. It's not an issue with form 8881. The issue is that TT has not done anything to update their software and they have given multiple dates that were not accurate. Even the date that people mention on this discussion are not accurate again (3/5/24 is not the most current).  TT states that their software will be updated 3/6/24 yet TT wont give any assurance on that date.  There is zero accountability!    This is not as simple as “just go to another company” because small business owners have many hours of work that have gone into TT, already having entered their data only to learn of this debacle when then try to finalize their taxes and submit.  So, I am at a loss on what next.

I am having the same problem.  Now it says March 5.  Wondering what will happen if I just file it anyway.

That’s the issue majority of us are having. It won’t let you go past that step and just file it. The only option is to print and mail.

I was wondering the same.  I asked the TT supervisor that exact question today.  Unfortunately they didnt know the answer.  They shared that I could “print the form and file it”   I said that doesn't answer the question as to whether the data is correct by advancing to that step with the error still existing.  I also explained that most every customer here is wanting to efile, not mail a paper tax return to the IRS or state!  

Form 8881 isn't listed on the Forms availability table you referenced. Is it called something else we can check?

It's there.   Don't pick your state.   Select the top option (us federal) 

Thank you! The date is now pushed to 3/6/24. Will the early bird discount be extended for those of us trying to file for weeks now and have been unable to do so due to this issue at have no control with?

Beats me if we'll get the discount.   At this point I'll just be happy to have mine filed and over with.   Been with turbo tax for many years.  Had an issue a couple years ago where I had to wait a few days maybe a week for a form to come out.  I waited and it indeed came out.    So, I'm trying to be patient.  I'm confident the issue will be resolved.   For me personally, It's not worth switching tax SW, I'd hate to haft to go thru prior years taxes to answer some of the questions TT auto fills for me.   My time is my greatest asset.  TT said it would notify me by email when the form is ready, I assume they will do as they said. 

I also need this solution ASAP.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Good morning, it’s the 28th of February, this issue hasn’t been resolved. It now says March 6th. The original poster is absolutely correct! Every time I log in the date moves back a week with no resolution, meanwhile some people have already received their refunds but we can’t even file yet. I’ve used intuit for years but now I’m heading over to HR Block. 

Same problem here, each day the date kept changing.  It was saying 3/4 on Monday 2/26.  I emailed the CEO like someone else said to do.  Within a few hours I got a phone call from someone saying they were with the "office of the president".  She explained the software is written on Thursdays and will be done on the 29th, they use the next few days to ensure the software is working correctly so it will be done by the 4th.  I let her know I would be switching to HR on the 4th if it's not done, she said shes confident it will be done on the 4th.  I even got an email confirming:

I am emailing you from TurboTax Customer Care on behalf of Intuit's Office of the President. I am the specialized agent assigned to assist you. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. I strongly believe that we will be able to address all the obstacles you are encountering and you will see the Schedule C paid wages form updates available on 3/4/2024. I look forward to speaking with you on 10:00 am PST on 3/5/2024 and hopefully you will be able to confirm transmission of the 2023 return. If you have any concerns regarding this matter, you can reach me by replying directly to this email.  Thank you again for reaching out.

Respectfully,

Racquel K
TurboTax Customer Care

Well, today I know it's total BS because the date was once again changed to 3/6.  I have no confidence in TT anymore, I too have been using them for years.  On 3/4 I'm changing to HR Block if this isn't resolved.  TubroTax hasn't released ANY official statement on it, customer service is giving all of us different answers, they won'teven allow me to file with my state.  I suggest others start making the switch too, I know it's a pain to do and takes a lot of time, but enough is enough.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies