turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mark52012

On my W-2 form I have entries in box 14 for IRC 125 and 414H with amounts next to them. I am not seeing any entries for them on my NYS return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

On my W-2 form I have entries in box 14 for IRC 125 and 414H with amounts next to them. I am not seeing any entries for them on my NYS return.

The IRC 414(h) and IRC 125 amounts should be shown in box 14 on your W-2. When you enter them in TurboTax, it should automatically recognize the abbreviations and handle them correctly on the state return.

On  the W-2 entry screen:

1. If you are using the online version of TurboTax, in the Box14 section, to the right of the amounts, there is a third column called Tax Category
  2. Select the correct description from the pull-down list. For IRC 414(h) it should say NY IRC 414(h) Subject to NY tax. For IRC 125 it should say NY IRC 125/SEC 18 Subject to NY tax.
  3. If you are using the CD/Download version, enter the description and amount in Box 14. You will then come to a screen, Let's Review Your Box 14 entry.  Click the Yes box.

As you go through your NY return, you will come to a screen, Your New York Income Adjustments. This will show the 414(h) and Section 125 amounts that are being added to your income on the NY return. The Section 125 amount will be labeled "Other Additions."

Carl
Level 15

With rare exception (of which yours is not) items/amounts reported in box 14 of the W-2 are not included in box 1 of the W-2. They 'might" be included in box 16 - but that depends on the state. If not included in box 16, then there's no need for any special reporting of the box 14 amounts on your state return.

It should be obvious that Irene is more familiar with the NYS return than I am. So her guidance would be more applicable. I'm just providing information that may or may not apply, depending on the state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies