Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shrhndb

Not understanding how to answer the question, Idaho resident ' active duty military pay earned outside of Idaho. Not an Idaho resident, but worked in Idaho.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Not understanding how to answer the question, Idaho resident ' active duty military pay earned outside of Idaho. Not an Idaho resident, but worked in Idaho.

Are you working on the Idaho state tax return? Were you AD/MIL stationed in Idaho in 2018? Did you have a civilian job in Idaho separate from your military income?

You state you are not a resident of Idaho. Yet they question you're being asked would indicate that you specifically told the program that you are in fact a resident of that state.

shrhndb

@Carl  Thank you so much for your response! I am working on an Idaho state tax return. I am not stationed anywhere because I am in the Idaho national guard, but I live in Washington state. I worked in Idaho on the civilian side,separate from the military. 

Carl
Level 15

As a member of a state national guard, that doesn't make you active duty unless you are officially called to that status. as a non-resident of Idaho I would also expect you to have to pay Idaho state taxes on both your Idaho national guard income, as well as any other jobs you may have held for a Idaho based employer that you performed while physically in Idaho.

Now some states will exempt national guard pay from state taxes, but only if you are a resident of that state. Still, you may want to check the laws in Idaho concerning the taxation of those NG wages.

You do need to make sure you're completing an Idaho non-resident return though, since you don't claim Idaho as your state of residence. It's also important that when doing multiple state returns, you save the resident state return for last. That way, the program can and will take into account any reciprical tax agreements that may exist between your resident state and any other states you may have to report income to.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies