turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I eligible to receive stimulus money? I made too much in 2018, but not 2019. I can't file 2019 taxes yet.

Will I receive a check or is the payment gone forever?
Aside from filing taxes, is there a way to claim my stimulus payment?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Am I eligible to receive stimulus money? I made too much in 2018, but not 2019. I can't file 2019 taxes yet.

The stimulus payout is based on your 2020 income so you'll be able to reconcile your stimulus payout when you file your 2020 income tax return.

Per TurboTax Blog: What the Coronavirus Stimulus Package Means for You:

• The stimulus check will be paid this year based on information from your most recent tax return and will be reconciled in tax year 2020 to ensure you received the correct rebate amount.
  • If you are underpaid based on your 2020 income you may receive more credit. 
  • If you are overpaid you don’t have to pay it back.

Please visit the following links for the most recent updates:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

The stimulus payout is based on your 2020 income so you'll be able to reconcile your stimulus payout when you file your 2020 income tax return.

Per TurboTax Blog: What the Coronavirus Stimulus Package Means for You:

• The stimulus check will be paid this year based on information from your most recent tax return and will be reconciled in tax year 2020 to ensure you received the correct rebate amount.
  • If you are underpaid based on your 2020 income you may receive more credit. 
  • If you are overpaid you don’t have to pay it back.

Please visit the following links for the most recent updates:

I am not Eligible for stimulus payment in 2018 but am eligible in 2019. I just electronically filed for 2019 on 4/11/20 so I might have missed the timing on when the IRS determines eligibility. Do I have to wait until next year when I file 2020 to get the $1200 payment?

Pj4848

Am I eligible to receive my stimulus check if I filed my taxes through TurboTax and the IRS rejected my return. I'm locked in and TurboTax is unable to fix my filing issue.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@alorber

You should still be eligible to receive the stimulus payment this year, based on your 2019 tax return.

@Pj4848

You can't get a stimulus checked based on a rejected 2019 return --  a rejected return hasn’t been filed with the IRS.  However, you may still qualify based on a filed 2018 return. 

Stimulus check amounts are based on information from your most recent tax filings, either 2019, or 2018 if you hadn't yet filed this season, unless you qualify for a return based on something other than your filed tax returns.

That said, if your e-filed 2019 return was rejected, you need to fix your rejected return. 

Please see the TurboTax Help article "How do I fix a rejected return?" for guidance, and the article "What does Rejected mean?" for a bit more in-depth explanation.

@JohnW222  How would I go about this? Do I fill something out online? My 2019 electronic filing was accepted this past weekend.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@alorber

Assuming that you input your Direct Deposit information when you electronically filed a few days ago, there’s nothing else for you to do. 

The IRS will send you stimulus payment to that account.

If you used a physical address, rather than the Direct Deposit method, you should get your check in the mail.

Stay safe!

@JohnW222 Yes. They have my direct deposit info from previous years and for 2019. My issue is that I was not eligible for stimulus based on 2018 return but I am for 2019.  Did I miss the time frame for them to pick up/use my 2019 (filed 2019 electronically last sat 4/11) return. It seems like they used my 2018 return because I didn't get the stimulus via direct deposit.

Will the IRS circle back to check and check eligibility based on my 2019 return automatically?

Thanks so much for your responses

Adam 

Hunt1253

@alorber Sorry to bug you but I'm in the exact same situation as your and I'm wondering if you got a real answer to this.  Should we expect to get money this year or will we have to wait until 2020 tax filing?  If you figured this out, would really appreciate the info.  I can't figure it out.

Stimulus payments are being made throughout the year, but there has not been an absolute timeline for issuing the payments shared by the IRS. So all you can do is file the 2019 return and wait. 

There is now a tool available through the IRS site link below that will allow you to check the status of your stimulus payment.  It is called Get My Payment.

Use the following links to keep up with the latest developments:

IRS -- Economic Impact Payments

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies