turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MLM business as an independent wine consultant

Hi! I signed up to be a consultant for a wine company and I purchase wine for tasting events. Are my wine purchases considered a business expense and would I enter that under the Supplies section? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  The wine you are using for events would be supplies and an expense for your business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Michaelgreco2012
Returning Member

As a wine consultant we purchase numerous wines as market research to maintain knowledge for wine consulting.  Is the purchase of wine and traveling to wineries deductible?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Yes, the cost of wine and travel to wineries would be deductible expenses for a bona fide wine consultant.

From the IRS What Can I Deduct?:  To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your trade or business. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary.

Only business-related expenses are deductible. Since wine and travel can also be considered as personal expenses, make sure you are operating as a business - not a hobby.

See Is it a hobby or a business? for considerations in determining whether your activity is a business.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies