Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RCPW
Level 2

Marketplace Tax Collection 2020

Hello,

I hope someone can get me some answers.

I received a letter from the Dept. of Revenue in TN that I did not report sales taxes in 2020 (prior October).

I only sell on Amazon, eBay, and Walmart and I had the impression that these marketplaces forward the sales taxes to TN.

Looking at the 1099-K, I do not see any split sales per state to see the taxes for each sales of each state.

Only the total sale and tax number per month.

How do I know which marketplace customer from TN purchased something from there?

Can anyone help me, please?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A couple of thoughts here:

• Obviously the state of Tennessee received something in order for them to contact you in regards to the sales.
  • Have you reconciled your 1099-K?  Do these reconcile to what you would expect? 
  • You should contact each of the marketplaces you sell on to get a handle of the procedure(s)
  • Here is a link to provide some general guidance on this matter, but as @rjs indicated, this forum is geared toward income taxes and not sales taxes.
  • https://www.tn.gov/revenue/taxes/sales-and-use-tax/out-of-state-dealers-marketplace-facilitators.htm...
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

This TurboTax community is to help people use TurboTax to prepare their income tax returns. Your question is not an income tax question. You will have to contact the marketplaces that you used for help with your questions about how they handle and record sales taxes.

RCPW
Level 2

Yeah, I used TurboTax for this.

For years.

But thanks.

A couple of thoughts here:

• Obviously the state of Tennessee received something in order for them to contact you in regards to the sales.
  • Have you reconciled your 1099-K?  Do these reconcile to what you would expect? 
  • You should contact each of the marketplaces you sell on to get a handle of the procedure(s)
  • Here is a link to provide some general guidance on this matter, but as @rjs indicated, this forum is geared toward income taxes and not sales taxes.
  • https://www.tn.gov/revenue/taxes/sales-and-use-tax/out-of-state-dealers-marketplace-facilitators.htm...
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies