turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

waddavi

Limited to 3 state withholdings entered? How to enter more?

A K-1 came attached with income from a number of states, all of I opted in for withholding.  I'm trying to enter these withheld amounts into the federal return but it seems to only allow for 3 state withholdings to be entered, and then the '  Add another' button disappears.  I have a whole bunch more -- and I'm on Turbotax Premier.  Is this supposed to get entered somewhere else?  Am I supposed to upgrade again?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Also note that the total of your state and local taxes paid (combined for income, sales, property tax) on Schedule A is limited to $10,000. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

It is not clear as to the entity that issued your K-1, but it appears as if it would be a partnership or multi-member LLC.

If that is the case, did the entity file a composite return? Some partnerships/LLCs file composite returns, and pay state income tax, so that their partners/members do not have to file returns in each state in which the entities do business. 

waddavi

There was indeed a composite and that’ll save me from most of the state filings though a few states don’t do composites.  I needed to find a way to enter the withheld amounts so the TT system credits me for the deduction.  I popped them in under estimated payments for now but it seems like the TT software is hardcapping the additional withholdings for state taxes to 3 entries.

On a test return using TurboTax Home & Business, I do not have an issue entering estimated taxes for multiple states (see screenshot). Where are you entering the data?

2.png

Also note that the total of your state and local taxes paid (combined for income, sales, property tax) on Schedule A is limited to $10,000. 

waddavi

Yep that’s where i ended up putting without issues as you’re seeing.  I was previously attempting to put it under deductions/additional withholding/additional state withholdings, which was capped.

ma59
Level 2

Hi, a partnership of mine made withholdings at more than 3 states. (It doesn't do composite.) Is there a better way to enter them than estimated tax payments? When you enter it as estimated tax payments, instead of a "Other Income Taxes", you can't put additional information. For example, see the screenshot below of the TT entry form for G2-A withholdings for Georgia I would like to be able to use instead of estimated tax payment, which just takes a dollar amount and a date (which I don't know as the partnership didn't tell me the date of withholding). I'm also afraid Georgia will reject my tax return since they won't be able to find a historic estimated tax payment from me (it came from the partnership instead).  Treating the withholdings as estimated tax payments seem like a trick to get TT to calculate the correct tax rather actually filling the taxes correctly. Am I missing something? 

Capture2.PNG

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, the only way to get credit for your income tax withheld is to claim it as a state estimated tax payment. If the state of Georgia questions on this, just show proof that the partnership paid it but passed on the payment to you. You would show proof of this from a statement issued by the partnership if not reflected on your K1. You can use form G2-A as you illustrated above only if you have received this from the partnership. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Fremont55

Last year, I entered a state withholding amount, using the estimated tax as the entering point in TT, in my California tax return, to get around the problem cited in the original question.  It was rejected by the Calif tax authority, the Franchise Tax Board.  So please don't tell your users to use the estimated tax platform for withholding state tax.  TT should get your act together, by adding more data points in your software for state withholding amounts.  Say up to 25 states (there are a total of 50 states).  This is a easy fix for Intuit.  We pay more money for the premier version, so provide more service.  This is a common problem for people with Schedule K-1 reports.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies