Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is anyone else having a problem with turbotax online now asking to check (revise) what are valid entries from form 1099-R (Box 14a, when there is only a box 14) ?

When I ran the program a few weeks ago, it did not flag this as a problem, but now it does.  The amount I have in box 14 is correct.  The error message I get says 'Box14a For electronic filing, New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distributions or state distributions'.  There is a box 14, but no 14A on my 1099-R and the amount there IS less than the gross distribution amount entered.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Roana2
Returning Member

Is anyone else having a problem with turbotax online now asking to check (revise) what are valid entries from form 1099-R (Box 14a, when there is only a box 14) ?

I am having the same problem  Is there a solution?

I spoke to support about it.  the last time I spoke to them they said the fix would be available by March 11th.

I was still getting the message this morning!

I’m still having the problem too.  I called again on the 12th, they now say the fix is going to be on the 16th.  I have little confidence.

I started trying H&R Block online and it gave the same error, but it also said if box 16 (state distribution) was blank, to fill it in with the same value as the gross distribution.  I will do that on the 16th if TT isn’t fixed.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Try entering the box 1 amount in box 16 then running review.  TurboTax is looking for an amount to compare the state withholding to and if there is no amount entered in box 16, then you are getting the error.  Review your 1099R input screens to insure there is an amount entered in box 16.  

The 1099 Series are informational reporting forms submitted to the IRS by third parties. The IRS then matches the form information to your tax return to insure all income is reported and taxed. If you do not include a 1099 received from a third party on your tax return, you will receive a notice from the IRS asking why. This is the CP2000 matching notice. If you receive this notice from the IRS, make sure and respond by the date indicate on the notice.

SamS1, thank you for your response -it worked and I was able to e-file this morning. Made my day! 

Joe 52

Box 14a For electronic filing, New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution.

I have spent too much time on this. I have gone over everything and the NYS tax directions.  Something is wrong. It is not a complicated  calculation to figure out the NYS tax. What is the answer?

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

If you have NYS tax withheld and reported in Box 14, enter the NYS distribution in Box 16, which should be the same as Box 1 amount.

This should resolve the issue.

@Joe 52

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Zxcv135

It is now 01/28/2024, and I’m seeing the same problem.

@Zxcv135 wrote:

It is now 01/28/2024, and I’m seeing the same problem.

As stated in the answer provided - enter the amount from box 1 in box 16.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies