turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can’t delete the form 5695

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits) is used to calculate tax credits for energy efficient improvements and alternative energy equipment.

To add or remove this form:

1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for this exact phrase including the comma and spaces: 5695, residential energy credit
  3. Select the Jump to link in your search results.
  4. At the bottom of the Energy-Saving Home Improvements screen, answer Yes, then select Continue.
    • To delete the 5695, answer No, select Continue, and then answer Yes on the following screen to confirm the deletion.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This did not work. I believe there is a glitch in the program. Please advise

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If the steps listed above fails and you re in Turbo Tax online, try this. 

1) go to tax tools.

2) tools

3) delete a form

4) Go to form 5695 and delete it.

If these steps fail, you may need to clear and start over your return as a last case scenario.

Neither method works, I've done both several times. It won't let me clear and start over either. I'm taking the standard deduction. 

Cheeva316

I’ve had this issue for 3 years straight, I keep trying to delete this form but it won’t delete, even customer care doesn’t understand why, very. Single. Year same scenario and cause of this, tax filing gets delayed.

yes... me and customer care have manually deleted this form over and over and over again and it never actually deleted, it even inputs a dollar figure into the spot next to energy credits amount that ai never, ever input. This is 110% a software problem with intuit and could raise flags if one was to get audited.

I have a video from last year and this year of me trying to delete the form and showing that it actually never deletes.

Intuit really needs the IT techs to get this figured out!! People have to wait an extra 2 WEEKS (14 DAYS) for the return to file cause form 5695 is not “available to file” till January 28th while all other forms are available on January 14th, so that one single form (5695) holds up the taxes from being completely filed on January 14th...., some people who are doing simple returns might be able to have their forms available on an earlier date (not the 5695 form)

JimD407
Returning Member

Doesn't work. Please advise.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify which version of TurboTax you are using?  For example, TurboTax Online or TurboTax Desktop Deluxe.

@JimD407

JimD407
Returning Member

Desktop Deluxe.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Desktop Deluxe you can follow these steps to delete your Form:

To do this in TurboTax Desktop you can follow these steps:

1. Within your return, click on the Forms icon in the upper right of the screen to switch to Forms mode.
  2. Scroll down in the menu bar on the left and select your Form 5695.
  3. Click the Delete Form button at the bottom left of the preview screen.
  4. Confirm the deletion then click the Step-by-Step icon in the upper right of the screen.
  5. Proceed entering/reviewing your return.
JimD407
Returning Member

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Now for the more important question: I want to delete it because it does nothing for me, in other words- It doesn't reduce my tax liability for the current year. Will not claiming the solar tax credit this year affect my ability to claim it in future years? I don't want to lose it completely if I skip a year. Thanks again.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

No, because the credit is only taken on equipment placed in service during the tax year.  So, if you installed solar panels in 2022 and do not take the credit on your 2022 tax return, you are not able to take a 2023 credit for 2022's installation.  However, you can still claim a credit for 2023 installations (up to the limits as they apply) on your 2023 tax return even if you don't take a credit in 2022.

See Energy Efficient Credit for more specifics. 

@JimD407

JimD407
Returning Member

I disagree. I installed solar in 2021. Tax code allowed me to carry over the amount that I didn't meet in 2021 ahead into  this year. It also allows this to carry over each year until 2034. My question is, and perhaps I worded it incorrectly, Do I lose the tax credit if I skip a year claiming it?

Reference:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/going-green/federal-tax-credit-for-solar-energy/L7s9ZiB4D

JimD407
Returning Member

Deleting the form using the forms tab as described did not actually delete the form. After deleting, saving and reloading my return, the form is still there. As others have mentioned, I believe you have a software issue.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

The form will not delete due to the carryover.  The Solar Tax Credit rollover will let you roll the tax credit back one year or carry it forward for up to five years.  However, you can only use the carryover to reduce money owed to the IRS and not to increase a refund.  Therefore, if you have a year you do not owe, the credit will continue to roll over to each following year until it is used up or until the five years have been exceeded.  The form will remain on your return to reflect the remaining credit even if the credit is not being used for that year.  You do not want to remove the form until the carryover credit has been used or is no longer valid.    

@JimD407 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies