Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GaryB213

I am using TurboTax Premier online. I need to do a manual workaround for Form 1116 by entering info directly to 1099-DIV. How do I access forms mode to do it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I am using TurboTax Premier online. I need to do a manual workaround for Form 1116 by entering info directly to 1099-DIV. How do I access forms mode to do it?

There is no forms mode in TurboTax Online. Only the CD/Download TurboTax software has forms mode. That's one of the biggest advantages of the CD/Download software over TurboTax Online.

You can purchase the download TurboTax software and move your TurboTax Online return to the download software. See the following FAQ for instructions to switch from TurboTax Online to the CD/Download TurboTax software.

How do I switch from TurboTax Online to the TurboTax software?

If your downloaded tax return data file includes a state tax return, you must install the state program before you can open the downloaded file. You may have to start a dummy tax return in order to install the state.

GaryB213

I am confused. The online version has a bug that surfaces an error message and will not let me add for 1116, and then file my taxes. The workaround is to enter forms mode and make a manual change. You tell me I cannot do that with the version I have. In sum, you are forcing me to pay yet again to access a workaround for a bug in the software I did buy. How does that make any sense? How do I use the online software to properly attach Form 1116 without getting an error message forcing me to use forms mode then? 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

There is no Forms mode in the online edition.  Only the desktop version has that.  To claim a foreign tax credit in the online edition, you would need to first enter info under Form 1099-DIV section.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To the right upper corner, under Select, type in "1099div" then Enter
  • Select Jump to 1099div
  • Follow prompts 
  • On the 1099-DIV screen, make sure to check the box "My form has info in other boxes" to expand the options
  • Make sure box 7 Foreign tax paid is filled. 

Then enter info under Form 1116 section.  Follow here:

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign tax credit" and Enter
  • Select Jump to foreign tax credit
  • Follow prompts

@GaryB213

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies