turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ipoop

How to manually change name of employer on Schedule H?

I received this error - SH-F1040-520-01 - Schedule H (Form 1040), 'EmployerEIN' and 'EmployerNameControlTxt' must match data in the e-File database - and need to change my employer name on Schedule H but it's a pre-populated field.  How do I edit the name of employer? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

The Employer Name is pre-filled with the main taxpayer listed on the return. If this is not the name used to apply for and associated with the Employer ID number (EIN), you may need to print and mail Schedule H separately from your tax return.

Note that if you've already paid your employer taxes by Forms 941 and 940, you are not required to complete Schedule H.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ratchmo

I'm having the same issue, and I cannot believe that I have to mail my taxes in simply because TurboTax won't let me edit the employer name field in Schedule H. Really? I'm sitting here wondering why I paid for Premium.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Schedule H is a stand-alone form. You can still file, but you will need to mail Schedule H separately.

What Is Schedule H: Household Employment Taxes

I’m assuming that the answer hasn’t changed. You just have to mail your return? I can’t find anything that clearly says that you can mail the schedule h form separately if you’re required to file a tax return also.  

Did you end up mailing?

Even if you've already paid employer taxes due with Form 940/941, isn't Schedule H still required to report and pay the FICA taxes an employer was required to withhold?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No. If you have filed Forms 941/940 and included your household employee wages there is nothing to report on Schedule H. If not, then you must file Schedule H and use the link provided by @CatinaT1 and placed here for your convenience.

• What Is Schedule H: Household Employment Taxes

@MJ799 

Is there a way to know what employer name control is being sent by turbotax?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Generally, it's going to be the first four letters of the last name of the primary taxpayer on the return -- that is, the taxpayer listed first in the Personal Info Summary in TurboTax.

@saj1066 

Then that is possibly the problem as in my case, the name used with the EIN  is not the last name.  It is the name of the business and so the name control is not the first 4 characters of the last name. I have confirmed with the IRS what control name is being used and the last name is not it. I have also confirmed with them that it is acceptable to use the same EIN for the household employee wages. I have used turbotax  for many years with the same EIN and this issue with schedule H didn't begin until the previous tax year (2021).

What happens if the first name and last name are switched? Put the last name in the first name column and the first name in the last name column? 

ejs9

Similar problem, but another theory ..... My 2023 tax return was rejected by the IRS with error code SH-F1040-520-01, “Schedule H (Form 1040), 'EmployerEIN' and 'EmployerNameControlTxt' must match data in the e-File database.”

I am filing a joint return with my wife.  Our two names and the EIN are all in perfect agreement among form 1040, the EIN paperwork, and the W-2/W-3 forms reporting the wages we paid to the employee. 

HOWEVER, as noted earlier in this thread, Turbotax fills the heading of Schedule H with my name only, not both names.  Therefore, the name shown on Schedule H disagrees with the information on the EIN documentation (and also the rest of the 1040 return). 

This seems like a problem with Turbotax. I suspect it is why the IRS is detecting a mismatch.  Is there any way to get Turbotax to put our names jointly on Schedule H, since it is a joint return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies