turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bandmom5

How do I unlink a w-2 from my schedule c?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

If your W-2 has the "statutory employee" box (box 13) marked in TurboTax, you will be asked to link the W-2 to Schedule C.  If this was an error and should not have been checked, then edit the W-2 and uncheck the box.

To go back to your W-2, from within your federal return, select the search icon at the top of the page and search for W-2 and select the Jump to link.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
JulieCo

If your W-2 has the "statutory employee" box (box 13) marked in TurboTax, you will be asked to link the W-2 to Schedule C.  If this was an error and should not have been checked, then edit the W-2 and uncheck the box.

To go back to your W-2, from within your federal return, select the search icon at the top of the page and search for W-2 and select the Jump to link.

wjg7

My W-2 does not have Statutory Employee checked in box13, but Turbo Tax has it linked to my Schedule C, line 1.e. which has a zero showing on that line, and calls the W-2 out as saying that I am a Statutory Employee.  The comment reads "Schedule C (Research Consulting): Line 1e: W2 Statutory cannot be reported on the same Schedule C as other business income.  Either remove any amount entered for statutory employee income or unlink the W-2 worksheet from this copy of Schedule C and link it to a differrent Schedule C."  This W-2 shouldn't be linked to any Schedule C.  How do I fix it?  Thanks!

surfkelso

please help me

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question?

@surfkeslso

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

wjg7 has a very clear statement of the problem -- e.g., a W2 WITHOUT Statutory Employee checked is incorrectly linked to a Schedule C.  

Any ideas?  Have deleted and re-imported the W2 multiple times.

What if they say you have a W-2 on Schedule C and you don't have any W-2's.

@Grove Street wrote:

What if they say you have a W-2 on Schedule C and you don't have any W-2's.

Verify there are no W-2's listed for your tax return and if there are delete all W-2's listed.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

Thanks for the help, but can't seem to find tax tools, etc.  Not doing it online, down loaded program.

I have searched and definitely do not have a W-2 attached that I can find, so don't know where the Statutory box is to uncheck. Amount from 1099-NEC.

@Grove Street Using the desktop editions, click on Forms.  When in Forms mode look at the left side of the page and see if there is a W-2 listed.  If so, click on the listing to open and then click on Delete Form at the bottom of the page.

There is no W-2 listed in forms.

Ok...So what exactly is the issue?  You received a Form 1099-NEC for non-employee compensation.  That requires that you enter this income on a Schedule C.  Or did you receive the 1099-NEC for something other the compensation for work performed?

I received a 1099-NEC from The Board of Elections for working as an Election Inspector, worked at the polling place.  Over $600 for 1st time, due to all the elections I worked. It automatically added a Schedule C and I tried to fill it in and the problem started. 

Non employee.

All right, let's get this corrected.

First go back to Forms.  When in Forms mode see if there is a 1099-NEC and a Schedule C listed.  If so, delete both the 1099-NEC and Schedule C.  Go back to the step-by-step interview.

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal if using Home & Business)

Click on Wages & Income (Personal Income if using Home & Business)

Click on I'll choose what I work on

Under 1099-MISC and Other Common Income

On Income from Form 1099-NEC, click on the start or update button

Complete the Form 1099-NEC and Continue

On the following screen enter Poll Worker as the description and Continue

On the following screen labeled Does one of these uncommon situations apply?

Check the box labeled This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual...

Continue

This will enter the $600 on Schedule 1 Line 8z,  The amount from Schedule 1 Part I flows to the Form 1040 Line 8 as ordinary income.

Sorry I didn't get back earlier, but with the holiday weekend I just couldn't face it any more.

Thank you very much. 

It finally said I had no errors.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies