turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report my situation properly on TurboTax? I was a freelancer in 2019, owned a business in 2019 and ended it in 2019. I have a 1099 form from a client.

For other clients, I do not have any tax forms but I know how much I made. I'm just confused how to input my business which I made $300 cash (but have $1,000 in advertising deductions), and my total freelance income (having only one 1099 form, but needing to report the income for other clients).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

How do I report my situation properly on TurboTax? I was a freelancer in 2019, owned a business in 2019 and ended it in 2019. I have a 1099 form from a client.

Here's how you enter your self-employment income. 

• Under Self-employment income and expenses
  • report the cash as: 'Other self-employed income. Includes 1099-K, cash, and checks.'
  • Report the 1099 as: '1099-MISC. Add all 1099-MISCs for this work.'
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! 

On a side note, the business that I started (and ended in 2019) had a profit of $300, but with all my advertising deductions, web hosting fees, and software fees, I have a net income of $-1,189.00. Is this ok to submit to the IRS (having a negative profit because of deductions)? I no longer run this business. 

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can deduct your loss even though you ended this business.  Having a loss on a small business is very common during the first three years.

Even though you aren't still in business, be sure to keep your records of your expenses for at least three years after you file. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies