Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get schedule 1 added to my Turbotax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Schedule 1 for tax year 2019 is automatically added to your tax return if you have required entries on Schedule 1

Schedule 1 (2019) - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s1.pdf

nguzenski

I've not figured it out. I need to also add a schedule 1 for other income for a grant scholarship for research. Every time I try to search under Tools for 1040 and click on GO when 1040 is highlighted, it redirects me to my main page with personal information. Please help!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Follow the instructions below to report your cash (check)  income on Schedule 1:

• Click Federal > Wages & Income>all income>
  • Go to the last selection, Miscellaneous Income and click Start
  • Go to the last option, Other reportable income and click Start
  • When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes and then type in a description and the amount to report it on your tax return.

Once you record that information in your return, this will generate a Schedule 1 with Scholarship income reported in Box 8 of Schedule 1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hawksgal
Returning Member

2021 - I cannot figure out for the life of me how to report other misc. income.  I am following help suggestions and see it in the description for "less common income", visit all, I'm saying yes to go through the screens, then am asked questions about HSA and MSAs, health plans, did I win money, and that's it.  Cannot figure it out.  

hawksgal
Returning Member

This option (in filing for 2021) is not working for me.  😕

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The thread above is referring to scholarship income, and the steps to enter that has changed. 

Scholarship income is listed as EARNED INCOME on the 1040 line 1, NOT AS OTHER INCOME. 

Are you trying to report scholarship income or something else? 

Is the income reported on a form, such as 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC? 

hawksgal
Returning Member

A business wrote me a check for services performed.  Last year this additional income was reported on 1040 Schedule 1 - Additional Income and Adjustments to Income.  I just upgraded my account from deluxe to whatever the next thing is when you have personal business accounts, but I still cannot figure out how to report this income.  A 1099-Misc was not provided to me.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If the payment was for "Services performed" it should be reported as Self-Employment income and you would be subject to Self-Employment tax (FICA). 

If you want to enter the dollar amount as "Other Income to be reported on Schedule 1, that is fairly easy to do. If you are seeing selection choices for HSA and Prize winnings, you are in the wrong section.

Under Personal Income or Wages & Income (depending on the program)

Select "I'll choose what to work on" if necessary. 

Select "Show More Income" if necessary since you want the very last category. 

Scroll down PAST OTHER COMMON INCOME to the very last option titled "LESS COMMON INCOME"

Under Less Common Income scroll down to the VERY LAST option titled "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C"

Again scroll down to the VERY LAST option titled "Other reportable income" and START

The next screen only asks for 

Description

Amount for you or your spouse if filing Married Filing Jointly.

Continue and Done. There are no additional questions concerning this income. 

It is entered on Schedule 1 and carried to the 1040. 

atrunyan

I am trying to report scholarship income in my 2022 tax return, and I cannot find how to access Form 1040 Schedule 1 to enter this information

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Assuming your scholarship money is taxable, then report it as follows:

1. In TurboTax online or TurboTax CD/download, after logging into your account, enter 1098-T in the search bar, upper right of screen.
  2. Select the option for 1098-T, and then select the jump-to link.  Even if you do not have a 1098-T, continue through the application as if you did.
  3. Enter your information.
  4. At the screen, Did Your Aid Include Amounts Not Awarded for 2022 Expenses, select no. 
  5. At the screen, Did You Pay for Room and Board with a Scholarship or Grant? Select yes and enter the amount of your scholarship which you believe is taxable income.  
  6. Continue through the remaining screens.  When you are done, your taxable scholarship amount will be entered on Schedule 1, line 8r as Scholarship and fellowship grants not reported on Form W-2.

Just for your information, scholarship money is taxable when it is used to pay for:

• Room or board
  • Utilities
  • And other non-qualified expenses (including school supplies not listed as required in your program).

If your scholarship money was used for qualified educational expenses, such money would not be taxable.   Here is a link to a TurboTax article that addresses whether scholarships are taxable.

Why is my scholarship taxable?

@atrunyan 

burgosr36

Thank you. It was very helpful.

What about stating a pregnancy as a GA resident? All I can find is something about Form 500, schedule 1... nowhere does it tell me how to get it or how to go about filling it out and attaching it if necessary.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

See the information provided below by@ ShirlynW

If at any time on or after July 20, 2022, a taxpayer has an unborn child (or children) with a detectable human heartbeat, the taxpayer may claim a dependent personal exemption in the amount of $3,000 for each unborn child.

Enter the total number of dependents. Do not include yourself or your spouse or dependent unborn children. A dependent is determined in the same manner as was determined when dependents were allowed for Federal income tax purposes except that a dependent also includes those unborn with a detectable human heartbeat.

Note: The unborn dependent exemption cannot be claimed if the child is born during the same tax year.

Please follow these steps:

1. Go to the State section.
  2. Delete Georgia
  3. Sign out of your account and sign back in.
  4. Go to the State Section and add Georgia.
  5. Continue to you get to the screen “Here’s the income that Georgia handles differently”
  6. Scroll down to “Miscellaneous.”
  7. Start “Dependent Personal Exemption for Unborn Children.”
  8. Enter -1- in Number of Unborn Children.
  9. Click Continue.

See the link below:

Unborn Child

@BigmamaRose143 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies