Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Entering Section 199A Information, Box 20, Code Z

My problem is that I have information from 2 different businesses. TT only asks for one. The form says to enter each business on a separate K1 Entry worksheet. How do I do that for the second business?

image.png

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You will prepare another K1 in the name of the partnership and recording only the information that goes into Box 20.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
blinn
Returning Member

Hello,

I have a single Schedule K-1 for a LLC I participate in. Box 20 contains "Z - STMT". The corresponding 199A contains the following four line items:

ORDINARY INCOME (LOSS)
SELF-EMPLOYMENT EARNINGS (LOSS)
W-2 WAGES
UNADJUSTED BASIS OF ASSETS

In TurboTax, I have selected code Z for box 20 to trigger the "We need some information about your 199A income" screen. I have entered the values from my 199A for W-2 WAGES and UNADJUSTED BASIS OF ASSETS in the appropriate boxes.

Here is my question: Do I enter the values from my 199A for ORDINARY INCOME (LOSS) and SELF-EMPLOYMENT EARNINGS (LOSS) or not? These values on my 199A exactly match the values in Box 1 and Box 14a on my K-1. It is unclear to me if I need to enter these values on the "We need some information about your 199A income" screen or if the values are automatically pulled by TurboTax from Box 1 and 14a.

NOTE: If I do enter these values on the "We need some information about your 199A income" screen TurboTax seems to lower my tax burden by about $10k even though the values I enter exactly match the values in Box 1 and 14a. That's the source of my confusion.

Thank you!

vkwong

In my K-1 section 199A , Box 20 Code Z references "stmt".   The statement has 20 sets of these numbers.  Do I just add all the totals?  I have no clue how to get a single number.

rental income

W-2 wages

unadjusted basis of assets

nikul_patel
Returning Member

Thanks David. I see the screen which you have referenced below to enter section 199A. Only issue is that I don't see check box for "Name of Business has Rental Income or (loss)". Any idea why I see all other options but this one? What could I have done wrong?

Hi there,

Did you end up resolving this issue? 

Thanks!

@DaveF1006 ,

My Schedule K-1's Box 20, Code Z - Section 199A information has information in four columns. The first column is "Management" and only shows ordinary business (loss). The remaining three columns show three business locations and each has an EIN. The locations have ordinary business income (loss), W-2 wages, and qualified property.

My understanding from your many posts on this topic is that I will enter a Schedule K-1 that looks exactly like the K-1 I received. All of the information in Parts I, II, and III will be entered exactly as seen. I will select code Z in box 20 and hit continue.

I then receive the, "We see you have Section 199A income" where I can select either, "The income comes from the partnership that generated this K-1" or "The incomes comes from another business."

Would I:

1. Select "The income comes from the partnership that generated this K-1" so that I don't have to enter an EIN for the management company (column A of the Section 199A information worksheet... which does not have an EIN listed) and then on the "We need some information about your 199A income" I would select only the Management LLC has business income (loss) box and enter the value from column A. This will only be a portion of the value in Part III, box 1.
  2. Create three new K-1s in TurboTax, each that have the same information from Schedule K-1, Part 1 but then only enter in the necessary information from Part II, G (general or limited partner) and H (domestic or foreign partner). Do not fill in section J or L for these pass-through entity K-1s (?). Do not enter anything in boxes 1-19 but do select code Z in box 20 again (with no value entered). This time when prompted about Section 199A income, I will indicate that the income comes from another business and on the next screen I will enter the name and EIN of a location (columns B-D for the three additional K-1s I'm creating). This time I will indicate that I have business income (loss), W-2 wages, and UBIA of qualified property and will enter the values from each of the columns.

If I add the net income (loss) values from the main K-1 with the management company's information (from column A) and the three additional Schedule K-1s created with only box 20 / code Z selected, they should add up to the value on the original K-1 that looks like the one I was sent, correct?

Additional related questions:

3. In Part II, Section K there are values on the nonrecourse and recourse lines. A Schedule K-1 Activity Worksheet shows the box K information for each location. Of the four Schedule K-1s I've created above, should these values be entered on only the main K-1 or not on the main one and instead on each of the pass-through entity (business location) K-1s?

4. In Part II, Section L there is another "STMT" next to the "Other increase (decrease)" row. My additional information shows an equity increase for one of the locations and an equity decrease (different value) for another location. Of the four Schedule K-1s I've created above, should this be entered into TurboTax anywhere? Or just enter it as-shown on the main K-1?

5. I do have an amount in box 17 with a code of A: Depreciation adjustment post 1986. I know which location it is associated with from the supplemental information. Following your guidance that only box 20, code Z should be filled out on the pass-through entity K-1s, should I keep this entry and value on the main K-1 and not associate it with the location's K-1? If I should put it on the K-1 associated with the location, then does it only go on that K-1?

Statement to all others: Please do not consider the steps I've outlined here to be guidance. I am clearly confused and seeking guidance. Wait for a professional to confirm my assumptions and/or provide additional details. But hopefully my example, my questions, and others' guidance will be of use to others.

I do steps 1 and 2 as you suggest but the prompt you suggest in step 3 does not occur.

Hi @DavidS127,

I'm preparing Form 1041 for a trust. I am processing a Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) in TurboTax Business.

Why has TurboTax labelled Section B1 as "Statement A Information" instead of "Section 199A Information"? See first screenshot.

The K-1 (Form 1065) published by the IRS describes Box 20 Code Z information as Section 199A Information! See second screenshot whose source was this file, last page.

Thank you.

Worksheet for Schedule K-1 (Form 1065)Worksheet for Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) 

Screenshot for IRS Instructions for Sch K-1 (Form 1065)Screenshot for IRS Instructions for Sch K-1 (Form 1065)

It's the same thing. It's all part of Statement A.  See HERE.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tamborine

In the 2023 version of Turbo Tax there isn't a question on whether the K1 has rental income (loss).  Thats the only income.  Should the amount on the tax form be zero?

@Tamborine - TurboTax does not directly ask if there was rental income but it does ask if your Schedule K-1 has entries in boxes 1, 2, and/or 3. Box 2 corresponds to "net rental real estate income (loss)" so if you indicate you have a value in box 2, that's telling TurboTax that you have rental income (loss) information. Depending on the nature of your partnership, you may also have Box 20, Code Z and either a value or STMT. You tell TurboTax that Box 20 has code Z but you don't have to put an amount. TurboTax will ask you more details about box 20 code Z (Section 199A information) and one of those may include specifying the rental income (loss). This might be the same number in box 2. If applicable, the Section 199A information will be on your statement (additional information provided with the Schedule K-1).

GatorCPA1

I have more than one business listed in the supporting statement for Box 20, Code Z on my K-1. One is the same as the entity filing the K-1 and 2 more have their own EIN's. I was able to get one of the separate passthrough entities in the K-1 D-1 worksheet, but cant figure out how to add more.  there is a helpful note saying I need to create another "K-1 Entry Worksheet", but I don't know how.  I have tried going to the form view and several other ways, but cant get it done. Please help!

Kayla37

I have the same question! 

Originally, I left it blank and went through to put in the details and while there is a section for rental income and other deductions there isn't a section for unadjusted basis of assets. It's not clear what your supposed to do here at all! 

I remember I paid $200 for live help for this last year and TBH it sounded like the person who was helping me wasn't sure what the answer was... I think this is a major flaw / error in turbo tax. We need help with this ASAP!

TurboTax will ask if your Schedule K-1 has a value in box 1, 2, or 3. If your Schedule K-1 has a value in box 2, that is Net rental real estate income (loss).

If you have a code Z (and probably others) in box 20, then when you fill the "Enter Box 20 Info" screen where you list the codes and an amount, select code Z but don't put an amount. When you get to the "We need some information about your 199A income" page, expand the first box that says you have business income (loss) and then you will see the box for your rental income (loss).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies