Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pp33

eidl grant

how does the 2020 business software handle the eidl grants

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

eidl grant

Nothing specific needs to be done regarding your EIDL Grant/Advance. It is non-taxable income. 

For Schedule C income, there is no need to report it.

If you are reporting income from Schedule K-1, it will be reported when completing the business return on Schedule K as non-taxable income, as well. Enter the Schedule K-1 as received. 

For more information about EIDL Grants/Advances, see: SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans

eidl grant

It's non-taxable for the federal return, but it is taxable in states (Specifically California).

I marked it as non-taxable in Quickbooks; TurboTax State asked whether there was an EIDL Grant (answered yes) and now there is a balance sheet mismatch in TurboTax for the State return.

Any clues gratefully accepted.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

eidl grant

The PPP loan is exempt from Federal taxation and to most states.  California, for one, conforms to Federal taxation and therefore, PPP loan is non-taxable  For taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2020, California provides an exclusion from gross income for covered loan amounts forgiven under the federal CARES Act, Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act, or the Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act of 2020.

See, ftb 2019-2020 legislation, link.

eidl grant

My statement was about the EIDL Grant, not PPP.  See, for example, the summary of California. AB 1577 (Ch. 20-39) here. 

eidl grant

Any solution to this? I am also in California and the EIDL grant is causing a mismatch.

eidl grant

No solution that I could find from TurboTax.  

I finally went into Forms View to the balance sheet, and added a line item to income adjustments that said "EIDL GRANT, TAXABLE IN CA, BUT NOT FEDERAL"  I don't guarantee that's the "right" way to do it, but am hoping that the CA authorities will have mercy on my soul for trying to do the right thing and not penalize us too much.

It would have been really nice for TurboTax to have handled the EIDL correctly, since there have to be numerous businesses in CA fighting this problem.  C'est la vie.

eidl grant

Hi,

Can you tell me which line this is "added a line item to income adjustments"?  CA has to make everything more complicated.

Thank you

eidl grant

For our case (S-corp):

1. Go under Forms View (Click on "Forms" in the upper right corner.)

2. On the left-hand pane: Click "Oth Add/Ded" under the major heading "California S Corporation"

3. The top of the form it brings you to says "Form 100S, Lines 7 and 12"

4. Item 9 on that page says "Other state adjustments to ordinary income (loss)".

5. I entered "EIDL Grant Received" for the text and put the amount in the right-hand column.

You'll also see further down on that page more verbiage about the EIDL, and for some reason, the numbers column is not a simple addition.  The bottom line though is that the bottom of part one "Total to Form100S, line 7" then has the value of the EIDL Grant, which solves the balance problem.

There's clearly a bug in TurboTax, which can be further exercised by the procedure outlined in this post.  In short, if you go back an uncheck the EIDL in TurboTax, finish the form, and then go back and re-check the EIDL in TurboTax, the balance sheet mismatch will double.  If you do that again, it will triple.

Anyway, hope that helps and good luck to you.

eidl grant

For anyone looking to resolve this for a LLC, here is how I did it:

1.) Use the "Forms" view

2.) Jump to Form 568 p5-6

3.) In line 4d Other, I entered "EIDL GRANT - FEDERAL EXEMPT" and the amount. The total other should update now.

This is assuming you answered YES to EIDL Grant in the Step-by-Step view. Otherwise you need to enter in the EIDL Grant in Form 568 p1-4, Schedule B, Line 10 Other income yourself in the form view.

That should work!

eidl grant

Regarding the State taxability question-is Advance the same thing as a grant?

eidl grant

The question you are asking really is: Do you have to pay it back?  If you have to pay it back, it is a loan and not a grant.  We got the info from the bank that provided the money.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

eidl grant

@ojedainspections

Are you referring to the $1,000 per employee with a cap of $10,000 EIDL grant?  The Consolidated Appropriations Act states:

An eligible entity, after submitting a request to the SBA, shall receive $1,000 per employee or a cap of $10,000. You do not need to repay these grants.

These funds are not reported as taxable business income on your tax return.  Refer to your state for taxability on the state tax return.

This article refers to state taxability of PPP funds which may or may not be treated the same as the EIDL grant.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

eidl grant

I wasn't even sure how the dollar amount had been determined, but yes.  I was just surprised to see it considered taxable to CA and hoping it wasn't.

Thanks

Abe7
Returning Member

eidl grant

Here's a hypothetical scenario hopefully someone can answer.

You have 10,000 in normal income for you business and 5000 in EIDL grant received. You have a total of 15000 in expenses which includes expenses paid using the grant money. Since the IRS is not taxing the EIDL grant, it will not be reported as taxable income. However, since the expenses paid using the EIDL grant are deductible, 1120S will essentially show a loss correct? Because they are only seeing 10,000 in taxable income minus the 15,000 in total expenses deducted. The 5,000 EIDL grant has no say in this part.

Would that be correct? This should technically show a loss on 1120S? Which will be passed down to the shareholders.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies