Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rt2020

Does anyone know how to correct 1099-NCE, it says I have selected a link to Schedule C and a link to either Schedule f or the Other income statement, Only one

How do I unselect one of the choices Schedule C or Either F or Other?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
GloriaL
Expert Alumni

Does anyone know how to correct 1099-NCE, it says I have selected a link to Schedule C and a link to either Schedule f or the Other income statement, Only one

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be reported on Schedule C(or Schedule F), the program needs to link these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the correct form.

Depending what type of business the 1099-NEC should be allocated to would determine which form to delete.

To delete Schedule F:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  2. In the Search box type "farm income" and click the "Jump to farm income" link in the search results.
  3. If you altready have a Schedule F in your TurboTax program, Click on Delete (trash can Icon), confirm your deletion. 
  4. Click on Done.

To delete Schedule C:

2. In the Search box type "schedule c" and click the "Jump to schedule c" link in the search results.
  3. If you altready have a Schedule C in your TurboTax program, Click on Delete (trash can Icon). 
  4. Click on Done.

To delete the 1099-NEC that you may have under Other Income:

2. In the Search box type "other income" and click the "Jump to other income" link in the search results.
  3. If you altready the 1099-NEC listed in Other income in your TurboTax program, Click on Delete (trash can Icon). 
  4. Click on Done

If you have already entered your 1099-NEC, you will need to revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC on its own and delete that entry. Follow these steps:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find),
  4. Click on the “Jump to 1099-NEC” link.

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete (trash can icon) next to each one.

If you have not yet entered your 1099-NEC, you will enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C(of Schedule F) so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C(or Schedule F section of your return: 

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  2. Type in “schedule c” or "schedule f" (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find).
  3. Click on the “Jump to schedule c(or schedule f”) link.

If you do not already have a Schedule C(or Schedule F) in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.  

Please Note: Currently there is a known issue when using TurboTax Online that is related to the program asking you to double-click to link to Schedule C (or Schedule F). 

If that occurs after entering your information, please review the article below and use the link in the article to enter your email address to be notified once this is resolved:  

TurboTax: Why Am I Unable to Link my 1099-NEC?

@GloriaL thank you for this, but I feel like I'm in an Alice in Wonderland doom hole.  

I'm using Deluxe, CD version. I feel numbingly paralyzed by the app telling me I did something wrong, when I never SAW 1099-NEC.  Reading things here, it appears the app created it for me (without saying anything) but now it's saying it did it wrong and I have to fix it. Feeling desperate.

You say "In the Search box type "schedule c" and click the "Jump to schedule c" link in the search results."  But my Search doesn't have a "Jump to" in the search results.  Is that Web only?  Nor is there anything in the search results that looks like it would do that. Help.

My specific error message (for only 2 of my 1099s) is "A link to Schedule C and a link to either Schedule F, Form 8919 (Wages) or the Other Income Statement have been selected to report nonemployee compensation."   Could this have gotten screwed up when I imported by 2019 return?  The two clients with this problem are the two who I also had in 2019.

But I'm the kind of TurboTax user who blindly does what the app tells me to do, because that's what the TV ads say I can do, y'know?

(Also it popped up something about using my car for part of my consulting business, which I never said anything about, this year - maybe that came over from last year too?)

Thanks in advance - signed, Stupid

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I'm not real clear on what your situation is.  You may need to delete the forms you have entered and re-enter this way.

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be included on Schedule C. If you entered the 1099-NEC but did not complete the Schedule C, you will get this error. 

  

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps: 

  

1. Open TurboTax. 

2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner). 

3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find), 

4. Click on “Jump to 1099-NEC” 

5. Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link 

  

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one. 

  

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return. 

  

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return: 

  

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner). 

2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find). 

3. Click on “Jump to schedule c”. 

4. Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link 

  

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC.  

  

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.   

  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminated.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, @CatinaT1 !  I am so totally clueless that I too am not real clear on my situation!

@CatinaT1 wrote:

You may need to delete the forms you have entered and re-enter this way.

To my knowledge, I didn't enter any forms!!  I merely answered the questions TT asked me about income etc.  Now, it may have been putting it in forms, with headings on the screen that I didn't notice (because I was just doing what it told me), but I am not aware of having created a Schedule C etc.  

Let me ask: if I had bought a different version, would there be a person who would help me do this in real time?  I had no idea when I bought the CD version at Costco that I wasn't getting that. Can I upgrade?

Meanwhile I'll try (after my meetings this morning) to do what you spelled out.  Is it different for the CD and "Live" versions?  (NOTE: as I just said in the message you replied to, the "jump to" advice doesn't seem to exist in my version!)

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. To clarify, why was this form issued to you and what is the nature of the income? 

[EDIT next day: I'm making some progress at understanding the kindergarten level of this stuff, so I'm editing this message.  Somehow in all these years, having others do my taxes, I never realized that what I call a 1099 was actually a 1099-NEC.  It's embarrassing to be clueless but better to own up, once a clue arrives...]

[EDIT 2 next day: I figured out a major source of confusion for me:  TurboTax's varied use of Search and Find. The instructions different people copy-pasted said "search for Schedule C," so I clicked the Search magnifying glass at top (next to Help Center) got a search box that popped out to the right, where entering Schedule C just produced help pages.  Eventually I figured out that I needed to click FORMS at the TOP LEFT, and THEN I could see the list of forms, and scroll to Schedule C. Note: there is nothing else I can see in menus called Search, so perhaps the copy-pasted text could be made more accurate?]

I'm a consultant and public speaker. 

Meanwhile - is it possible to upgrade my CD version to Live?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Looks like you are using the Mac version, which functions slightly different than the Window's.  Instead of the "Search" option, there is "Find" feature for Mac.  Sorry for the confusion.

The TurboTax Live version is only available in the online edition.  You cannot upgrade from the CD version to TurboTax Live, unfortunately.  If you would like to switch to online or Window version, please contact our customer service support at 

TurboTax contact

@debronkart

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies