turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vermard2

Do I issue a 1099-NEC for payments made to an individual for the purchase of a sole proprietorship business?

I'm a self-employed insurance agent and bought another agent's book of business. We both file as sole proprietors - Should I issue them a 1099-NEC for payments I made to them for the business ownership? They want to report their profits from the sale as capital gains and installment income on form 6252. I paid them $17k in 2020 and will pay them $30k in 2021 and $30k in 2022. I have a large tax bill if I can't claim my payments to them, but I'm not sure the proper way to do it, if any. Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Do I issue a 1099-NEC for payments made to an individual for the purchase of a sole proprietorship business?

Do not issue a 1099-NEC because the payments you're making aren't for a contractor and aren't income from self employment to the previous business owner. What you bought is a Sec 197 intangible in the form of a book of business or accounts and those are amortized over 15 years. Lawyers should have rep'd both sides in this transaction.

vermard2

Thank you so much for the advice - doing research on how to amortize Section 197 assets. Will likely get some lawyers involved. I worked for my senior agent for 8 years as a 1099 employee and when he passed away in March 2020 I agreed to pay his widow to retain/take over the book of business. Since we were close and she was grieving we skipped what seems to be some essential steps that will need to be corrected now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies