turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e3dave

Access Quick Employer Forms

I purchased TurboTax home and business from Amazon, download from the web. When I try to access quick employer forms from TurboTax on the web, I'm directed to purchase TurboTax business. How do I access the forms without making a second purchase?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Another way to get to the Quick Employer Forms QEF is to go to the Business tab - Continue
Select I'll Choose what I work on (if it comes up)
Top item Profit or Loss from Business Click Update or Start
Click Edit by your Business

Then either
Scroll down to Business Expenses
On Other Common Business Expenses, click the start or update button
There are two sections where you can start using the QEF for contractors or employees.
For contractors, on Contract Labor, click the start or update button
On the screen "Enter Contract Labor Expenses" there is shown "Create and file W-2s and 1099s online with TurboTax Quick Employer Forms." and a "Start here" blue highlighted link.  This will take you to the QEF website.

OR
Under Business Profile - Edit
Scroll down to Has Employees - Click EDIT
Then Create and file W-2s and 1099s online with TurboTax Quick Employer Forms. Click on  Start here

On about January 10, 2020, I (eventually) figured out how to enter payee data at the TurboTax web pages for eventual printing and eFiling of IRS Forms 1099-MISC (block 7, NEC Compensation) due tomorrow, January 31, 2020.  [For my 2019 returns, I upgraded to TTax Home & Business -- specifically because I wanted the advertised ability to eFile my 1099-MISC forms and know that my current 2019 data would be saved online for quick & easy transfer to next year.]

(1) It turned into a time-wasting hassle to (eventually) discover that the ability to enter 1099-MISC info via the online web pages could NOT be accessed from my freshly-created and therefore existing 2019 TTax file in my desktop computer. Instead, when first opening TTax I had to click the "Start a new return" button and from there choose to enter 1099-MISC (or W2, etc.) data. That worked and I manually entered data for about 30 payees. I chose not to eFile at that time (TTax FAQs explain that my data would be saved online for later eFiling and for transfer to next year). Instead of immediately eFiling, I opted to wait until the end of January (i.e., today, 01/30/2020) in case errors needed to be corrected before eFiling. [NOTE -- There was NO "sign out" link or button available on any of the screens that appeared for me, so I simply closed the browser window. Chrome browser.]

(2) Today, 01/30/2020, I am trying to get back to my previously-entered 1099-MISC data that is supposed to be stored someplace within my online account at TTax ... ... ... and, after successfully logging in with my username and password, I cannot find any of my previously-entered data. The option to enter brand new data appears, but NO saved data from a couple of weeks ago. AARRGGH! A link to previously-saved data does NOT appear when I use the "Start a new return" button when TTax first loads. I cannot find a link to my already-entered data when I go back into my already-started 2019 tax file that's stored in my desktop computer. AARRGGH!

Now I wonder why I wasted my time and money upgrading my TTax product so that I could (supposedly) enter and eFile 1099-MISC forms via TTax to the IRS.

So I follow all these directions from within my 2019 Turbotax home and business that I got on Amazon for Mac but still get the "you need to purchase Turbotax, etc. 

Does this have anything to do with being on Mac?

How do Turbotax customers on Macs access the quick employer forms? 

Help appreciated!

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

If you used the Desktop (CD/download) software and selected "Desktop"  to prepare your tax documents, you won't be able to e-file them through TurboTax.  Only the tax documents that are prepared in the online program (Quick Employer Forms) can be e-filed through TurboTax.

You CAN prepare and e-file your forms through the Desktop Software by choosing the option to prepare them "online".  By using this option, you'll be directed to Quick Employer Forms to prepare your W-2s, and then be able to e-file them from there.  See the TurboTax FAQ for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Easy way to find QEF -- go to this website: 

• quickemployerforms.intuit.com
  • You will need to sign in (using an existing password) or create an account.  After you purchase TTax Home & Business 2020, you get "free" eFiling of forms 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC, W-2.  If you purchased TTax software via Amazon, but QEF does not recognize you, I suppose you will have to try to contact TTax.  Good luck with that ... my experience has been that most or all of the "contact us" links lead to "community" Q&A message pages (like what you are reading now).

Those of us who do just one or two TTax returns each year will appreciate not having to search "the community" in order to figure out (or in my case, re-discover) how to do things that ought to be intuitive and/or visible in helpful menus. 

Access to QEF and the ability to eFile 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC & W2 forms really is "online only."

• Hopefully TTax software developers will reduce future confusion by adding hints or revising menus within TTax Home & Business to clarify where & how eFiling of 1099-NEC/W2 does and does not work.
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The program should direct you here to create forms you need. Sign in with the same user name and password that is connected to your tax account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is not working.   It tells me to purchase 2020 TurboTax Business or 2020 TurboTax Home & Business  in order to access Quick Employer Forms.     It does this even when I'm logged into my active and paid Online Turbotax Self-Employed account.     None of the directions in the help section are working for me.

please help.

Solved. LindaB1993's post from ‎February 3, 2020 8:42 PM has the answer. When you access Quick Employer Forms (QEF) directly, it doesn't recognize that you already purchased Home & Business Desktop. You need to click to go to QEF from within Home & Business Desktop directly. Steps:

1. Start a New Return

2. Prepare W-2s and 1099s for my employees or contractors.

3. Choose Online

This opens QEF in your browser in a manner that recognizes that you already purchased Home & Business Desktop.

Oddly, when you access QEF logged in as yourself from another computer or browser, QEF does not recognize your purchase.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies