turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bill W
Returning Member

2020 CARES Act -- Required Minimum Distribution RMD

Before the CARES Act allowed deferral of all RMDs in 2020, I received an RMD which I returned within 60 days as permitted by the CARES Act.  I have since received the 1099-R showing the distribution (income) in 2020, but nothing to reflect that I immediately rolled over that distribution back to the same retirement fund.

How do I handle that in TT H&B to show I had no use of the funds due to immediately rolling it back in -- per the CARES Act?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Enter the 1099-R.  When the RMD question comes up answer that "None of  this distribution was a RMD" because it was not - there were no RMD's.  Then indicate that it was all rolled over.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Maurice7

In 2020 did not take the the full amount out for RMD due to relaxation of that requirement in2020.

Turbotax I am subject to a fine. Is that correct?

@Maurice7 wrote:

In 2020 did not take the the full amount out for RMD due to relaxation of that requirement in2020.

Turbotax I am subject to a fine. Is that correct?

No penalty, just the tax on the distribution that was NOT a RMD.   Be sure to answer the RMD question that no RMD required.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies