turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wasmajmom

One vehicle was used for two different Schedule C businesses. How do I enter this in Turbo Tax? The car& truck wks only links to one schedule C.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

One vehicle was used for two different Schedule C businesses. How do I enter this in Turbo Tax? The car& truck wks only links to one schedule C.

Because you use the same vehicle for both businesses you have to enter the vehicle under both businesses. 

For example, if the total business mileage for the year on the car was 12,000 miles, you would take that mileage and apportion it to the two businesses according to how much you use it for each business--8,000 miles for Business A and 4,000 for Business B.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
trzjena

What if I use the same vehicle for two separate businesses, and for business one i used actual cost? Can I put second business under standard mileage if i use less?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, you must use the same method for both businesses.

So use either Standard mileage for both or Actual expenses for both businesses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
caddguru

I am not an expert but it seems to me one can own multiple cars, each using a different method. But not all cars have to use same method. It is NOT the business that dictates how a car's expenses are applied but the car itself. Each car has to use a consistent method. You calculate total cost per car. Then apportion a fraction of the total cost to each Schedule C according to the percentage of use by each Schedule C.

Hi! 

I have one vehicle and two Schedule C's.

I am working on a tax return and noticed that after I enter total miles vehicle was driven in 2021, number of miles driven for business, and number of communting miles in BOTH Schedule C's, TurboTax is not calculating the number of miles driven for personal purposes correctly in each Schedule C.

Example of what TurboTax reflects after I enter the vehicle's mileage: 

Business #1

Total miles driven in 2021 = 6,111

Number of miles driven for business = 526

Number of miles driven for commuting = 4,696

Number of miles driven for personal purposes = 889

Business #2

Total miles driven in 2021 = 6,111

Number of miles driven for business = 346

Number of miles driven for commuting = 4,696

Number of miles driven for personal purposes = 1,069

Is there a way to fix this so that the number of miles driven for personal purposes is 543 (what it is when you account all business miles driven)?

Should I reduce the total miles driven in 2021 for Business 1# by the business miles of Business #2? 

Business #1 total miles driven in 2021 would = 5,765

Business #2 total miles driven in 2021 would = 5,585

Doing this would make the number of miles driven for personal purposes = 543 in EACH Schedule C

Will this cause any issues when I file my tax return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies