turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT2017

New LLC Formed Business Tax Questions

Hello, My wife and I formed an LLC in Texas and are going to be taxed as an S corporation. I wanted to know what forms we would need to file and if Turbo tax would supply everything needed to do so?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will need Turbo Tax Business.
TT Business is for 1120 Corporation, 1120S Corp, 1065 Partnership or 1041 Estate/Trust returns and will not do your personal 1040 return.   It  is a separate program from the Desktop Home & Business program or the Online Self Employed version.

Home & Business (or Self Employed)  is for personal returns that include a schedule C for self employment or sole proprietor. A single owner LLC would be reported on Schedule C unless the LLC elected to be treated as an S corp or C corp.

You will get a schedule K-1 (or a W2) from the business return to manually enter into your personal 1040 return.

Turbo Tax Business  is not available to do online or on a Mac.  You can buy the Window's version here.  And you can have both TT Business and TT Home & Business (or any personal version) installed on  your computer at the same time.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You will need Turbo Tax Business.
TT Business is for 1120 Corporation, 1120S Corp, 1065 Partnership or 1041 Estate/Trust returns and will not do your personal 1040 return.   It  is a separate program from the Desktop Home & Business program or the Online Self Employed version.

Home & Business (or Self Employed)  is for personal returns that include a schedule C for self employment or sole proprietor. A single owner LLC would be reported on Schedule C unless the LLC elected to be treated as an S corp or C corp.

You will get a schedule K-1 (or a W2) from the business return to manually enter into your personal 1040 return.

Turbo Tax Business  is not available to do online or on a Mac.  You can buy the Window's version here.  And you can have both TT Business and TT Home & Business (or any personal version) installed on  your computer at the same time.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes
TT2017

Okay, thank you for that information! So, we would only need to File the 1120S Corp and 1040 return (joint return) and exclude the Schedule C since that is focused on only Self-employed or sole proprietors?
What if I was a sole proprietor at the beginning of the year and have profit from that, would I still put that on my 1040 or would I need to get a separate schedule c for that as well?

A Schedule C is only for the Sole Proprietorship, and has nothing to do with the corporation.

Because you are required to be an employee of the corporation, the corporation also needs to file (and pay) (1) quarterly employer forms (Form 941), (2) Federal Unemployment, (3) W-2/W-3, (4) State Unemployment, and (5) perhaps other State requirements.  TurboTax does not do any of that (it does have an affiliated program for the W-2/W-3).

You also need to know how a corporation works, how to reimburse expenses, etc.  I *HIGHLY* recommend going to a tax professional for AT LEAST the first year for the corporation.  Go now (before the end of the year) for a consultation, and then again for the actual tax return (and perhaps the payroll forms).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies