turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mitch988

Do I need to fill out a line item for each business expense?

I have detailed accounting records for my business. It seems crazy that I would have to enter a line item in Turbo tax for each expense. It is possible to just enter one amount for "Travel" for instance, or do I need to fill out a line item for each and every expense?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Belling

No, you do not need to enter individual items meticulously like this. All you need to do is classify your business expenses within reasonable categories and enter them into TurboTax as appropriate. TurboTax makes it easy for you by already providing a list of the most common business expenses. 

As you can see from screenshot 3 below, Business Travel  is already a category!

1. In TurboTax Home & Business, go to Business<Business Income & Expenses<"I'll Choose What I work On", Business Income &Expenses< 'Start' or 'Update' across from Profit or Loss From Business .      <---see screenshot 1.

2. Next ,you will arrive at the Income and Expenses summary for your business <---- see screenshot 2. From this page, you will click on "Common Business Expenses" as shown in the screenshot.

3. Now you will arrive at the Business Expenses Summary page, titled, "Let's Write Off Some Business Expenses". This is the page where you will be able to navigate to the proper areas to enter ALL your business expenses. <---screenshot 3

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Belling

No, you do not need to enter individual items meticulously like this. All you need to do is classify your business expenses within reasonable categories and enter them into TurboTax as appropriate. TurboTax makes it easy for you by already providing a list of the most common business expenses. 

As you can see from screenshot 3 below, Business Travel  is already a category!

1. In TurboTax Home & Business, go to Business<Business Income & Expenses<"I'll Choose What I work On", Business Income &Expenses< 'Start' or 'Update' across from Profit or Loss From Business .      <---see screenshot 1.

2. Next ,you will arrive at the Income and Expenses summary for your business <---- see screenshot 2. From this page, you will click on "Common Business Expenses" as shown in the screenshot.

3. Now you will arrive at the Business Expenses Summary page, titled, "Let's Write Off Some Business Expenses". This is the page where you will be able to navigate to the proper areas to enter ALL your business expenses. <---screenshot 3

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies