Solved: Limited to 3 state withholdings entered? How to en...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waddavi

Limited to 3 state withholdings entered? How to enter more?

A K-1 came attached with income from a number of states, all of I opted in for withholding.  I'm trying to enter these withheld amounts into the federal return but it seems to only allow for 3 state withholdings to be entered, and then the '  Add another' button disappears.  I have a whole bunch more -- and I'm on Turbotax Premier.  Is this supposed to get entered somewhere else?  Am I supposed to upgrade again?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tagteam
Level 15

Also note that the total of your state and local taxes paid (combined for income, sales, property tax) on Schedule A is limited to $10,000. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
tagteam
Level 15

It is not clear as to the entity that issued your K-1, but it appears as if it would be a partnership or multi-member LLC.

If that is the case, did the entity file a composite return? Some partnerships/LLCs file composite returns, and pay state income tax, so that their partners/members do not have to file returns in each state in which the entities do business. 

waddavi

There was indeed a composite and that’ll save me from most of the state filings though a few states don’t do composites.  I needed to find a way to enter the withheld amounts so the TT system credits me for the deduction.  I popped them in under estimated payments for now but it seems like the TT software is hardcapping the additional withholdings for state taxes to 3 entries.

tagteam
Level 15

On a test return using TurboTax Home & Business, I do not have an issue entering estimated taxes for multiple states (see screenshot). Where are you entering the data?

2.png

tagteam
Level 15

Also note that the total of your state and local taxes paid (combined for income, sales, property tax) on Schedule A is limited to $10,000. 

View solution in original post

waddavi

Yep that’s where i ended up putting without issues as you’re seeing.  I was previously attempting to put it under deductions/additional withholding/additional state withholdings, which was capped.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings