Solved: Limited to 3 state withholdings entered? How to en...

waddavi

Limited to 3 state withholdings entered? How to enter more?

A K-1 came attached with income from a number of states, all of I opted in for withholding.  I'm trying to enter these withheld amounts into the federal return but it seems to only allow for 3 state withholdings to be entered, and then the '  Add another' button disappears.  I have a whole bunch more -- and I'm on Turbotax Premier.  Is this supposed to get entered somewhere else?  Am I supposed to upgrade again?

tagteam

Also note that the total of your state and local taxes paid (combined for income, sales, property tax) on Schedule A is limited to $10,000. 

tagteam

It is not clear as to the entity that issued your K-1, but it appears as if it would be a partnership or multi-member LLC.

If that is the case, did the entity file a composite return? Some partnerships/LLCs file composite returns, and pay state income tax, so that their partners/members do not have to file returns in each state in which the entities do business. 

waddavi

There was indeed a composite and that’ll save me from most of the state filings though a few states don’t do composites.  I needed to find a way to enter the withheld amounts so the TT system credits me for the deduction.  I popped them in under estimated payments for now but it seems like the TT software is hardcapping the additional withholdings for state taxes to 3 entries.

tagteam

On a test return using TurboTax Home & Business, I do not have an issue entering estimated taxes for multiple states (see screenshot). Where are you entering the data?

2.png

tagteam

waddavi

Yep that’s where i ended up putting without issues as you’re seeing.  I was previously attempting to put it under deductions/additional withholding/additional state withholdings, which was capped.