K1 income is being counted twice

I received form 1065 through a syndication. I have amounts reported in both box 1 (Business income) and box 2 (rental income). Turbo tax suggests that I create 2 separate entries as follows:

"Enter business income on one K-1"

"Enter real estate income on another K-1."

However, by doing so, my income is being counted twice. The amount going into form 8995 as well as the amount on line 8 form 1040 are doubled.  How do I get around this? Do I really need two K-1 entries as turbo tax is suggesting? how do I make sure the income is not counted twice?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

K1 income is being counted twice

@awesome1 wrote:

.....by doing so, my income is being counted twice. 

They are two separate activities so they should be counted separately.

K1 income is being counted twice

with Turbotax, you must use 2 k-1s if you have entries on lines 1 and 2.  

some other lines are generic so they can go on the first k-1. like interest income. 

other lines pertain to both lines 1 and 2 or 1 or 2 and must be separated and entered on the appropriate k-1

this is true of QBI/Section 199A/form 8995 info 

the line 20 details, perhaps contained in a separate schedule must be reported on their respective k-1s. you don't enter the total on each k-1. that will double up the reporting.

K1 income is being counted twice

Enter everything on the first K-1 entry  EXCEPT box 2   and then on the second K-1 entry ONLY enter box 2 ... the program will marry the 2 together on the return automatically because they share an EIN.