Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 Box 17 Code K (shows stmt)? There is a statement attached titled -"Shareholder's Disposition Report for all Assets with Section 179 Expense Taken)

How do I calculate the amount that would go in Box 17 from the information on this statement?  The report has several Colums - Description, Date Acquired, date sold, Gross sales Price, Cost or basis plus improvements, Depreciation or allowable, AMT depr', Amt of allowance or allowable, tax year sec 179 expense ded taken.

Turbo Tax did not calculate the dollar amount in box 17?  Does anyone know the formula?  Perhaps :

Gross sales price less cost basis?  Would the dates 179 is taken effect the calculation?  Not sure why Turbo Tax didn't just automatically calc this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

K-1 Box 17 Code K (shows stmt)? There is a statement attached titled -"Shareholder's Disposition Report for all Assets with Section 179 Expense Taken)

Unless there is a code letter with an amount listed next to it, it is not possible for Intuit to know how to process the information listed in your box 17 on your K-1 schedule.

From what you describe, most likely your entry in box 17 refers to code "K" (dissolution of property with section 179) or code "L" (recapture of section 179 depreciation). If you enter "K" and an amount, later on you will be asked to enter the sales proceeds, cost, date acquired - the information you mention. If you see an amount for section 179 recapture you can enter that for code "L". 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As I explained, Box 17 on the K1 shows "STMT", and has a statement attached.  The statement lists two Items we sold during 2022.  Both Items when purchased used Section 179 deductions.  The statement shows date purchased, and date sold.  It shows Gross sales price, Cost or basis, amount of sec 179 deduction taken, tax years sold and purchased. .. With all this information shown on the form, I would think Turbo tax would calculate Box 17?  But since it doesn't, but provides the statement, I assume I am supposed to calculate the amount using the statement information?  I'm sure the there will be an adjusted gain/loss to report in Box 17, or somewhere else?  

You replied "If you enter "K" and an amount, later on you will be asked to enter the sales proceeds, cost, date acquired - the information you mention."  But Box 17 does not show an amount, only "STMT".  Can I expect there will be a place to input the information from the statement somewhere else in Turbo Tax?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

As you progress through the interview questions to enter the K-1 in TurboTax, you will be prompted to checkmark all the boxes that have info on your K-1.  Then TurboTax goes through the boxes you checked in order and provides space to choose the code and enter the amount showing on your K-1.  If the box says *STMT* on the K-1 leave the box in TurboTax blank.  The next screens will ask for information about your Box 17 code K information provided to you on the statement accompanying your K-1 and walks you through each amount to enter.

@tkproperties 

Ok, it seems you are correct, I left Box 17 empty, and was able to input the information from the statment.  I also closed this S-corp in 2022, and turbo tax is having me fill out form 7203.  Boxes C "Stock Block" needs input?  When I started the S-Corp I issued 200 shares (100 to me and 100 to my wife).  I have disolved the S-corp on Dec. 7th.  Didn't sell the company, just closed it.  Stock has no value?  What would I put in this Box C for stock block?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

The Stock Block refers to the instances you purchased stock in the business.  Since your stock was "purchased" only with the original issuance, you can each label your Form 7203 as Stock Block "1".  

If you had bought into an S-Corp, say on  4/1/2016, then purchased another 100 shares on 10/1/2018, you would have 2 stock blocks:

• Stock Block #1 for the stock purchased 4/1/16
  • Stock Block #2 for the stock purchased 10/1/18

@tkproperties 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies