turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kd0imh

I'm trustee of a complex irrevocable trust for my special needs son. We put $500 and someone else put $2,000 in the trust in 2016. Is this considered Income on the 1041?

The trust has its own EIN.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm trustee of a complex irrevocable trust for my special needs son. We put $500 and someone else put $2,000 in the trust in 2016. Is this considered Income on the 1041?

"Is this considered Income on the 1041?"

No, that is considered a contribution (i.e., funding the trust) and becomes part of the corpus (principal) of the trust. 

It is not income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

"Is this considered Income on the 1041?"

No, that is considered a contribution (i.e., funding the trust) and becomes part of the corpus (principal) of the trust. 

It is not income.

kd0imh

Thanks. There was no interest or other income in the trust in 2016. Must I complete a Form 1041?

You are welcome. You do not need to complete a 1041 unless the trust has taxable income or gross income of $600 or more.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies