turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jrcayer

Is my LLC considered a partnership for the purpose of a W9 form if both my spouse and I are listed as members?

I am referring to box 3 of the W9 form.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is my LLC considered a partnership for the purpose of a W9 form if both my spouse and I are listed as members?

yes.  you most likely should be filing a partnership return.  the tax law provision that would let you report the business activity on either 2 schedule C's or E's (a qualified joint venture) does not apply to an h/w LLC. 

Yes and No.

There is a specific box to mark for LLC and then you will make the partnership designation.

Just want to be clear that you don't mark the partnership box.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rick19744 you are wrong. the LLC is for a single-member LLC only. here we have husband and wife - a partnership.  

The W-9 form is quite clear ... a single member LLC defaults to  a Sole Prop &  a multi member LLC  defaults to a Partnership unless the entity choose to be filed as a Corporation or an S-Corp ... you should know what you choose on the SS-4 form when you applied for the EIN ...

1.png2.png

@Anonymous wrote:

@Rick19744 you are wrong. the LLC is for a single-member LLC only. here we have husband and wife - a partnership.  

@Anonymous: @Rick19744, I believe, was referring to the "Limited liability company" box in Section 3 on the W-9 that is directly below the first row of checkboxes (see @Critter-3's screenshot). That box would be checked and then a "P" would be entered to designate "partnership".

Yep.  Agree with @tagteam understanding of my response to the W-9 question.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
Carl
Level 15

Understand that if your LLC has more than one partner/member/owner listed on the registration with the state, it's not "considered" a partnership. It ***IS*** a partnership/multi-member LLC.

If you do not live in a community property state, then you're required a file the 1065 Partnership Return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies