turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In my last year's tax return I see Schedule 1 Line 8 has an entry for "Other Income". This year too i have the same category of income but don't know how to enter it.

Last year a CPA prepared my taxes. This year I am preparing it myself. In my last year's tax return, I have  Schedule 1 in which Ii have an entry for "Other Income". I have the same situation this year too. How/where do I enter the information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

In my last year's tax return I see Schedule 1 Line 8 has an entry for "Other Income". This year too i have the same category of income but don't know how to enter it.

You can list 2 line items in the Miscellaneous Income section, Other Reportable Income.   Do one line item for each and you can use the same descriptions she used in the past.   The easiest one to get to that section is to use the search feature up top.   Type in  other reportable income (3 words), hit enter and use the Jump to other reportable income link to be taken to the correct screen.   Answer NO to the first question about wages - and you will see a list of topics.  Scroll to the bottom and click Start or Revisit next to the last category - Other reportable income.  

Enter the first one, then click on +Add another Misc. income item.   Then add the second.   Those entries will show up on Line 8 on your Form 1040.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

"Other Income" is income that is not wages, rent, investment or other typical types of income. Without knowing what you are reporting I can't be too specific, but in general you would report it by going to the Less Common Income section in TurboTax by using the following menu tabs:

1. Federal
  2. Income and expenses
  3. Less Common Income

Thanks for your response. My apologies for the delay. I was checking for responses in another email account. I want to be consistent with my last few years of Returns which was filed by a CPA. This year I am doing it myself. My CPA's return copies have entries in Schedule 1 Line 8 for the last few years. I have the same scenario this year too and I am filing it myself. Hence can you tell me where to enter info in Turbo Tax that would populate line 8 of Schedule 1?

Thanks again

The schedules have changed for the last couple of years.  Line 8 is for Other Income.  Is there a description for it on last year's return?  What other income do you need to enter?  You should know what you have.

The description my CPA had entered was "Other Foreign Unearned Income and Foreign tax refund" He has two lines in Line 8

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You can list 2 line items in the Miscellaneous Income section, Other Reportable Income.   Do one line item for each and you can use the same descriptions she used in the past.   The easiest one to get to that section is to use the search feature up top.   Type in  other reportable income (3 words), hit enter and use the Jump to other reportable income link to be taken to the correct screen.   Answer NO to the first question about wages - and you will see a list of topics.  Scroll to the bottom and click Start or Revisit next to the last category - Other reportable income.  

Enter the first one, then click on +Add another Misc. income item.   Then add the second.   Those entries will show up on Line 8 on your Form 1040.  

Perfect. It worked! Thank you so much! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies